Turbo, Actuator, and Pyro questions
06-29-2016, (Subject: Turbo, Actuator, and Pyro questions ) 
RE: Turbo, Actuator, and Pyro questions
(06-28-2016 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Hammer head a word to the wise. Remove the snap ring on the jake rockers and stretch the spring a bit. I put new shafts on one and it still clicked. SO I pulled the valve cover back off and ran it till I found the one clicking. So I removed it to find the spring was weak. The dealer said they didn't sell that part but I needed the whole thing at a cost about 350. So seeing nothing was really bad I removed the spring and stretched it. I also did the rest and man what a difference that made. THis is just my 2 cents of what I have done in the past.

(06-28-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Hammerhead , if not too late replace both shafts and all six rocker detents ! They're really cheap . Detents are wearing on the edges too . Mine was the same as yours . Do em all . You're not going to regret.
I appreciate and invite all advise, thanks gentleman.
It's never too late, unless something breaks...which since I'm still waiting on the rad it isn't. I've installed the rear shaft and did a top end set, but that doesn't require a single part, just my time and if it will make me happier, then I'll do it...have I mentioned I've got a fridge full of beer at the shop? Any excuse to hide out, I mean do necessary repairs is all the encouragement I need.
Just so I'm clear, the detent pieces are available separately, but the springs are not?

Wiseman, when I did the previous top end set a month ago, and again when I did it today after installing the new rear shaft, 1-3 & 6 Jake rockers all felt "good" in their detents, but thanks I will take your advise and change the front shaft as well. I was thinking about it today while I was doing the rear thinking I was being cheap and stupid not doing the front at the same time. Am I correct that the detent "pin" from the Jake rocker is available as a separate part?

Mr Hagg, since you have stated the spring is not available separately, by how much did you "stretch" your springs? Or in place of, about how long overall length after stretching am I looking for?

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Mr. Hagg, my local hardware store carries a huge selection of springs. Would it be feasible to just replace it with a similar spring?
replyreply
Hammerhead, you don't need new springs . All you need is sharp edges of the new shafts and detents. And yes they're sold separately. Mr.Hagg is right . You can stretch the spring and eventually solve the problem when you use a new shaft and old detent . But I strongly recommend replacing shafts and detents together. You'll be surprised how weak are this springs , but I doubt they need to be stronger .
About the fridge and the beer .... It's not fair to drink it all alone.
replyreply
(06-29-2016 )Nilao Wrote:  Mr. Hagg, my local hardware store carries a huge selection of springs. Would it be feasible to just replace it with a similar spring?

Nilao , I get your point . Shafts and detents are really cheap . After all the choice is yours .
replyreply
(06-29-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Hammerhead, you don't need new springs . All you need is sharp edges of the new shafts and detents. And yes they're sold separately. Mr.Hagg is right . You can stretch the spring and eventually solve the problem when you use a new shaft and old detent . But I strongly recommend replacing shafts and detents together. You'll be surprised how weak are this springs , but I doubt they need to be stronger .
About the fridge and the beer .... It's not fair to drink it all alone.

Wiseman; I've found them in the Quickserve exploded view. They are listed in graphic rl101gd as item number 11 & 12
3413129 check valve (detent) $21.83ea
2892986 compression spring $7.50ea
2882470 rocker lever shaft front $231.11
So for ~$600(CDN) to change the font shaft and spice up my jakes that I rely on heavily...oh hell YES!!!
Thank you guys for that advise! The local Cummins guy never told me about the valves and springs, and I didn't know better so I would have left as was...
Cold beer for Wiseman & Mr Hagg anytime we meet up gentleman!

Nilao, for CDN$7.50 per spring, probably US$5.00 I wouldn't waste the effort trying to find something similar, they did engineer the product and there may be metallurgical difference that you could never tell...except maybe by failure. For CDN$45.00, I wouldn't make the legendary $35,000 mistake.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Good job Hammerhead. I wish I lived near you so I could come hang out and learn some of those things. I'd buy the beer.
replyreply
Good God , Hammerhead! I bought my rocker shafts from Cummins in Las Vegas for something like $50 each ! What are this guys smoking over there?
replyreply
06-30-2016, (Subject: Turbo, Actuator, and Pyro questions ) 
(06-29-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Good God , Hammerhead! I bought my rocker shafts from Cummins in Las Vegas for something like $50 each ! What are this guys smoking over there?
Canadian pricing Wiseman...for some reason we get shafted pretty on certain items. It's the price of living in God's Country, lmao, that autta elicite some good banter!
Either way, it's DONE!!! Replaced both rocker shafts, all 6 check valve detents & springs! Top end all adjusted according to spec, can't wait to hear it purr and feel that new Jake pressure again. Rad will be done tomorrow, new CAC is here, just gotta button it all up and Restore flush this baby out real good!

The springs varied some, but they were all in the +-9/32" shorter than new. The spring part number was a change up from original build, so I don't know if that's how much they compressed over time, or if they are now slightly longer than original. The Jake rockers are now physically obvious to my hands that they are WAY tighter in the detent positions.
The front shaft looked really good, there was only some minor wear on #1, the rest looked good as new. Either way, it was an inexpensive Jake tune-up and I'll post reviews when I get her back out in the road.

Huge thank you to Wiseman and Mr Hagg for giving me the skinny on the check valve detents and the springs, I wasn't smart enough to know that so I learned something and that's always a bonus! A shout out to Rawze as well for his infamous YouTube videos for visual references!
./uploads/201606/post_2077_1467259898_974bf7661874026f792d3e4b960994df.jpeg
^valve rocker shaft assembly exploded view, live^

(06-29-2016 )biscuits and gravy Wrote:  Good job Hammerhead. I wish I lived near you so I could come hang out and learn some of those things. I'd buy the beer.
If you're ever in the area don't hesitate to drop a line, I'm always happy to help, or even teach...cause I usually learn when I help so it's always a win.

replyreply
06-30-2016, (Subject: Turbo, Actuator, and Pyro questions ) 
The springs varied some, but they were all in the +-9/32" shorter than new. The spring part number was a change up from original build, so I don't know if that's how much they compressed over time, or if they are now slightly longer than original. The Jake rockers are now physically obvious to my hands that they are WAY tighter in the detent positions.
The front shaft looked really good, there was only some minor wear on #1, the rest looked good as new. Either way, it was an inexpensive Jake tune-up and I'll post reviews when I get her back out on the road...
Copied from above because I still can't figure out the multiple pics thing...every time I try to do a second pic, it changes the first to the same as the second and puts it in the post twice on my iPad...mechanically inclined, computer idiot!
./uploads/201606/post_2077_1467260808_aedcb2a0756cb5f5c2eb880057056a2d.jpeg

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.