New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft??
12-26-2019, (Subject: New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft?? ) 
RE: New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft??
Hard facing on cams is toast. I would be concerned about soot packing. You might be looking at a overhaul in the near future.
replyreply
That oil almost looks burnt. That is a serious shade of black. What were the oil and coolant temps running at. Any idea what the oil change intervals were on it.

No doubt that cam is shot. That's from no changing the oil enough. Grime grinds away at the cam lobes.

This engine was neglected bad. Someone didn't change the oil in it. What a shame.

Just to ease your mind for a minute (and only a minute) there's still nothing definitive that warrants an overhaul. BUT... you need to absolutely do some tests before you just throw a cam in it and button it back up. You need to make damn sure your not wasting your time just replacing the cam only to have to pull it all back apart because there is a major underlying problem in or under the head.

The oil pan needs do be dropped and the bottom end needs to be looked at. Carbon packing is gonna be an issue. You need to see how bad it is. You also need to see what you can see on all the cylinders. Make sure nothing stands out with any of them as far as scars and scrubbing. Make sure you don't have any scary pieces of metal in the pan. Take good clear pictures of the cylinders and the bottom end and post them. Then you'll NEED to pressurize the cooling system to 20 psi and leave it sit overnight. You'll be checking for a dropped liner or problems with the head or head gasket. Rawze shows a good bit of what to look for as far as searching for coolant down there in this video of his overhaul. https://youtu.be/yzQH_Utawis

This will give a good indication of weather its advisable to fix the obvious and them proceed to get what profitable life is left in that engine. If you're extremely lucky and everything is salvageable, your gonna need to take some steps to "clean that carbon out of the engine. But that's only if you're not looking at a junk engine. We all feel for you and hope for the best. But please do the proper work and see what animals and monsters your dealing with. It can all be fixed. We're here to help with good profitable decision making. Don't be afraid to ask.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
(12-26-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-25-2019 )bookerjt Wrote:  Hello, and ty for letting us join..Husband broke down in Mo. Freightliner said it's turbo and actuator, $7,000. K, it's a isx871 2010, which he got a couple of months ago..Guy was done within a day, took for test drive, then they called Jason (spouse) to come get keys..he drove it down the road to get his trailer, then proceeded to drive under load. Engine shut off came on. He limped it back down, the mechanic gone, new mechanic says $1,100 to diagnose, now needs new camshaft,$15,000. Seriously?? Excessive Crankcase Pressure?? What am I/he missing?

YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT YOU TOOK IT TO THE STEALERS$ITS ... THAT IS YOUR MISTAKE AND DOWNFALL FIRST AND FOREMOST!!!

--- AND YOU WILL NEVER HAVE 2 GODDAMN DIMES TO RUB TOGETHER AND ALWAYS BE BEHIND THE 8-BALL ON A TRUCK THESE DAYS, / BE RUN OUT OF BUSINESS IF YOU THINK FOR ONE DAMN MINUTE YOU CAN RUN OFF TO THE MOST EXPENSIVE, MOST RIP-YOU-OFF ANSD TAKE YOU FOR ALL YOU ARE WORTH OEM FACILITIES ON THE ROADWAYS !!!!! -- LEARN HOW TO OWN AND OPERATE THAT EQUIPMENT AND LEARN HOW TO DIAGNOSE AND FIX ON IT!!!!

---- $7,000 FOR A TURBO REPLACEMENT IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!- THAT IS BEYOND F$$$3KING RIDICULOUS!!!!! - YOU GAVE AWAY NEARLY $5000 DOLLARS MORE THAN IT SHOULD HAVE COST YOU IF YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING, AND WERE ABLE TO WORK ON THAT TRUCK YOURSELF LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO!!!-- DOES IT FEEL GOOD GIVING THAT MUCH MONEY AWAY JUST TO NOT GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY!!!???? -- I KNOW OF A LOT OF THINGS I CAN DO WITH $5,000 DOLLARS!

I would have disconnected my turbo and limped it bobtail 3,000+ miles to the house if I had to before I would spend that kind of money!.. I have actually done this before!

(That is a lot of money flushed down the toilet... If I had dropped my wallet into a toilet and flushed it by mistake, and it had $5,000 dollars cash in it, and it was gone forever .. I would literally be sick to my stomach for days!).

FIRST OF ALL,... DETERMINE FOR YOURSELF -- IF THE THING CAN BE SAFELY DRIVEN home or somewhere else! ...

remove the oil fill cap and see how much blo-by it has at idle...if it is not blasting out of the fill-tube, the engine is likely still drivable.

NEXT-- REPLACE THAT CRANK CASE FILTER-- This is one of the number one causes of turbo failures, and truck owners are notorious for not changing them often Enough -- or drilling it out, or putting in the maint. free filter to prevent this kind of damage.

-- more info on this: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376
-- The maint. free filter -- http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...50#pid8950

-- IF YOU CAN GET It HOME--- GRAB A STINKING WRENCH AND LEARN HOW TO WORK ON IT OR GO OUT OF BUISNESS1!!!!--- TRUCKING IS NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO DON;T KNOW HOW TO REPLACE THINGS ON THEIR TRUCKS AND ENGINES ANY MORE--- YOU WILL GO BROKE--- GO BACK TO BEING A COMPANY DRIVER IF YOU CAN'T LEARN TO WORK ON THAT THING YOURSELF!!!

GET pictureS of the cams... post them here for some opinions... WATCH MY YOUTUBE VIDEOS AND GET BRAVE IF YOU HAVE TO -- BUT WHATEVER YOU DO... GET THE HELL AWAY FROM THAT OEM SHOP AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND AT THE VERY LEAST,... BECOME BETTER INFORMED ABOUT YOUR ACTUAL SITUATION BEFORE WASTING ANY MORE DAMN MONEY!!!

Lastly: miles, truck spec, more info please...

AND -- what has been done to the truck... how often are you doing EGR tune-up work and other things... How often you changing oil, and your fuel mileage? -- What are you doing to maintain it beside running off to the goddamn worst places you can take it? -- Do you even do any of your own work ti it?-- or have you just waited until s$it broke and wondered why you are getting ripped off all the time like a fool?
Okay for all the people don't want to sit there and say that I made a mistake I will admit I made a mistake but I was fifteen hundred miles from home trying to get back for Christmas I do not own the laptop program or interface to install a turbo on this truck myself so I tried to get the shop to do it know I'm here asking for insight information and to learn how to repair the truck myself I will be buying a camshaft and bearings and going back to Missouri to fix the truck in a parking lot myself any help or information would be gladly accepted and thanked very much
replyreply
You are getting the help you need. The harsh words and the kick in the rear are to just drive home the lesson that YOUR business and livelihood should NEVER be taken lightly. I've said it before. The lessons that are never forgotten are the one that hurt the most, annoy the most and cost the most.

Rawze uses harsh words to drive it all home and wake up the lesson deaf. But he's also the one that is helping the most and will help the most. Take it in and move on. Most of us on here had to do the same and we're all much better for doing so. You've landed in a good place to undo some of you're problems.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Geared_Cortex , Waterloo , East Coast ISX , marek4792 , schISM
(12-26-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  You are getting the help you need. The harsh words and the kick in the rear are to just drive home the lesson that YOUR business and livelihood should NEVER be taken lightly. I've said it before. The lessons that are never forgotten are the one that hurt the most, annoy the most and cost the most.

Rawze uses harsh words to drive it all home and wake up the lesson deaf. But he's also the one that is helping the most and will help the most. Take it in and move on. Most of us on here had to do the same and we're all much better for doing so. You've landed in a good place to undo some of you're problems.
Harsh words don't bother me but harsh words with a little information like where to look what test to perform what to watch out for can be taken a lot better than a harsh words with no information I am an old school diesel mechanic that's used to working on mechanical and free emissions vehicles I have very little knowledge about these 400 to 500 horsepower computers so where do I find the information on what test I should perform and what I should be looking for
replyreply
[/quote]
where do I find the information on what test I should perform and what I should be looking for
[/quote]

The cam in that picture is toast, and your head might be shot too. I'm willing to bet that engine has other problems due to extended oil drain intervals. If I were you I would drop the pan and pull some bearings out and have a look. And while you got the pan off, pressurize the cooling system to 20 psi let it sit over night then bar the engine over by hand while someone lays under the truck looking and listening for coolant gurgling and dripping down(look very very closely, not always real obvious). If you find coolant then you know for certain it's inframe time and any other problems your having aren't really gonna matter.You can also look up into the liners with a flashlight and look for polishing and other damage.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
where do I find the information on what test I should perform and what I should be looking for
[/quote]

The cam in that picture is toast, and your head might be shot too. I'm willing to bet that engine has other problems due to extended oil drain intervals. If I were you I would drop the pan and pull some bearings out and have a look. And while you got the pan off, pressurize the cooling system to 20 psi let it sit over night then bar the engine over by hand while someone lays under the truck looking and listening for coolant gurgling and dripping down(look very very closely, not always real obvious). If you find coolant then you know for certain it's inframe time and any other problems your having aren't really gonna matter.You can also look up into the liners with a flashlight and look for polishing and other damage.
[/quote]

Had a borescope put through the injector hose to look at the cylinders Schoenherr still have plenty of cross-hatching and they are not polished
replyreply
Well that's good, I guess it's time to drop the pan.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(12-26-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  Well that's good, I guess it's time to drop the pan.

I planned on putting bearings both in the top and bottom in when I installed the new cam what would be a good way of cleaning the carbon out of the engine
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.