New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft??
12-26-2019, (Subject: New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft?? ) 
RE: New Turbo & Actuator, 3 miles down , new camshaft??
(12-26-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Where is the truck at? Town? You may get lucky and have a kind soul from the forum here be local to the truck and give you hand.
Foristell mo
replyreply
You aren't gonna just slap a cam in it and call it good are you?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
To recap my truck is a 2010 Peterbilt 386 with a Cummins ISX 871 got a code for Turbo actuator when the shop remove the turbo actuator just checked your shaft going into the turbo was frozen in place had the turbo replaced add actuator then got a code for excessively High crankcase pressure was told by the dealership that I needed a new engine I told them they were full of s*** I had to check and see where the blow-by gases were coming from ask them if it could be the reman turbocharger they told me they've never had one come back then they proceeded to do a cylinder cutout test and found that number four and number six we're not firing then they proceeded to do a borescope all of the and told me that I needed a rebuild I looked at the camshaft an image on the for scope and found the camshaft work in fact shot on the borescope I could see large amounts of cross hatching but fillers did not look glazed before all this happened my oil pressure stayed about 40 PSI my coolant temp read 180 degrees constant oil temp ran about 205
replyreply
(12-26-2019 )Magard Wrote:  How are you gonna keep from getting parts stolen while working on it.

This made me chuckle. Where do you live that this would be an issue? Who the hell would steal parts from a torn down broken truck? Foristell is far enough away from St. Louis. Though it would be funny to see some crack head trying to turtle shell the hood away.
replyreply
(12-26-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  You aren't gonna just slap a cam in it and call it good are you?
No I am not I want it done correctly so that I can get longevity out of the engine if that mean completely disassembling and overhauling the engine then that's what will happen I am scared to try and Limp the truck 1500 miles home without doing any more damage
replyreply
That cam has been that way for a while. I think you're going to regret trying to change that cam in a parking lot. I think I would change the crankcase filter and limp it home, the damage is already done.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-26-2019 )tree98 Wrote:  That cam has been that way for a while. I think you're going to regret trying to change that cam in a parking lot. I think I would change the crankcase filter and limp it home, the damage is already done.
Did you forget about number 4 and number 6 not firing I think that is due to the cam
replyreply
#4 & 6 weren't firing. What was there reasoning for the cylinder being bad and not simply an injector issue? Something is missing here. Like Rawze said, if it's not chugging smoke like a freight train out the oil fill tube, then your not in undrivable shape.

So you have a bad cam. It's been that way for a long time. The truck still runs. You can probably still drive it bobtail home. It shuts down because of high crankcase pressure, correct? Sounds like you just need to button this bad boy up and get that crank case sensor to stop screaming. Im sure someone here can help with shutting that thing up to get the truck limped home. There are directions on this forum on how to drill out the filter housing and let that thing breath. If your cylinders and pistons are intact then you should be able to take it easy and get it home to work on it in more favorable conditions.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-26-2019 )Chamberpains Wrote:  #4 & 6 weren't firing. What was there reasoning for the cylinder being bad and not simply an injector issue? Something is missing here. Like Rawze said, if it's not chugging smoke like a freight train out the oil fill tube, then your not in undrivable shape.

So you have a bad cam. It's been that way for a long time. The truck still runs. You can probably still drive it bobtail home. It shuts down because of high crankcase pressure, correct? Sounds like you just need to button this bad boy up and get that crank case sensor to stop screaming. Im sure someone here can help with shutting that thing up to get the truck limped home. There are directions on this forum on how to drill out the filter housing and let that thing breath. If your cylinders and pistons are intact then you should be able to take it easy and get it home to work on it in more favorable conditions.
Yes the truck still runs I drove it into the shop
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.