Turbo squealing
06-28-2016, (Subject: Turbo squealing ) 
Turbo squealing
I am new to this group. Love the info provided by rawze and everyone in this group. I have a 2011 international prostar with isx15. After a hard pull I get squealing noise from the turbo. Doesn't matter if it's while accelerating or when engine brakes is engaged it'll squeal. I've had the truck since March of 2015. About the same time that I started to notice the squealing after a hard pull I noticed that if I idle at least 5 to 6 hours i come out looking like a freight train in the morning with lots of smoke. Oil consumption is at a rate of about 1/2 gallon to a gallon a week. I have had truck in the shop numerous times for weeks at a time. I got the extended warranty through navistar on the truck. I've replaced everything from the dozer on back to the dpf. Two overheads done as I kept saying that my engine brake doesn't seem to be giving me the full effect. In other words there is no diff between level 3 and level 2 on the engine brake. Had the check for leaking injectors and they found one. Was under warranty but they only replaced the one instead of all six. Put a new breather filter in. After about 20k in repairs(some warranty some not) I am still not satisfied. I feel deep in my pockets that's it's the turbo. Anytime the turbo squeals while it's trying to regen I'll get a end up with the cel light on. I've gotten to the point that I just take it to the shop and have them do a forced regen and I don't have regen issues for a while. Sometimes I wish I knew how to sabotage the turbo since its covered under warranty and be done with it. Since its under warranty I have to go to an international and 90 percent is crap. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to give a complete list of symptoms.while doing forced regen all the numbers look fine. Turbo speed is a little fast but normal. Vgt clamps down to about 90 percent. Like I tell them. That's fine but it's not doing what it needs to do while going down the road. Any suggestions
replyreply
RE: Turbo squealing
My turbo was doing the Same thing. The vg ring would squeel while pulling and real bad when jaking... I got a few months out of it until it crapped out.
replyreply
80% of the time when you have a bad turbo squeal,... it is actually a bad manifold or turbo mounting gasket. Everyone seems to swear it is the turbo,.. but most of the time it is not.

Just some food for thought.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Don't be surprised if upon disassembly you see something like this.
Just pull this turbo and do a real inspection before it's too late!
./uploads/201606/post_1240_1467170995_9563bec48762cdd35ea8c360198e314b.jpeg

And Rawze is spot on .
replyreply
(06-28-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Don't be surprised if upon disassembly you see something like this.

And Rawze is spot on .

Nice pic wiseman,.. thanks.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(06-28-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-28-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Don't be surprised if upon disassembly you see something like this.

And Rawze is spot on .

Nice pic wiseman,.. thanks.

No problem . That's why we're here for .
replyreply
06-29-2016, (Subject: Turbo squealing ) 
Thanks for the replies. Think I am just gonna have to take it and have someone tear it apart so I can know for sure. Would this also be a cause for the smoke after idling. Also noticed that if rpm is near 1200 there is no pull on acceleration. Doesn't matter if loaded or empty. Ther wow a noticeable lack of power. The best way to explain it if cruising at 1200 and I give it some fuel it's as if pressing on the brake at the same time.
replyreply
06-29-2016, (Subject: Turbo squealing ) 
Very possible cause for to much smoke after idling is leaking oil from shaft seal ! There's not enough temperature to burn it off during idling and oil accumulate in the housing. Other possible cause is exhaust valves stem seals popped out of the valve guide and oil seeping into exhaust manifold. Both causes are very bad for everything down the line !
I think most likely your turbo is gone . At this point there's nothing to be afraid of . Just pull it off and use it to learn . Make pictures. Ask questions. We're here to help !
replyreply
07-16-2016, (Subject: Turbo squealing ) 
(06-29-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Very possible cause for to much smoke after idling is leaking oil from shaft seal ! There's not enough temperature to burn it off during idling and oil accumulate in the housing. Other possible cause is exhaust valves stem seals popped out of the valve guide and oil seeping into exhaust manifold. Both causes are very bad for everything down the line !
I think most likely your turbo is gone . At this point there's nothing to be afraid of . Just pull it off and use it to learn . Make pictures. Ask questions. We're here to help !

Is their a easier way to tell if the oil is coming from the turbo leaking oil or the motor leaking oil into the manifold?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.