Pwr Steering Gearbox
12-31-2019, (Subject: Pwr Steering Gearbox ) 
RE: Pwr Steering Gearbox
Sounds like an air pocket, like Snail said, drain entire system, refill and purge.
replyreply
01-01-2020, (Subject: Pwr Steering Gearbox ) 
It is most likely your pump not keeping up. I encountered this rare occurance with my truck, whenever I tried to bleed the system it wouldn’t bleed.. And air would actually build in the system...causing steering to bind... I would just change the pump if your gears and lines are new, and bleeding isn’t working... or you could even pressure test the pump if you desire. All of the steering manufacturers list the service bulletins for free online. Just google your brand.

User's Signature: I may be cross eyed, but i don’t cross thread
replyreply
01-01-2020, (Subject: Pwr Steering Gearbox ) 
I doubt it is the steering box...

Those power steering pumps do fail...

My power steering pump failed on me at around 900,000 miles, I replaced.

Then at 950,000 my air compressor failed. I replaced that myself in my driveway, power steering pump quickly failed on the new compressor, it would not bleed like you are describing. Jacked up front end, turned wheel multiple times, no go, she would not clear herself of air. Could not bleed it, removed it, and it was puking oil from the gear/compressor side, so off to the dealer for another new pump... Installed new pump, purged air, still going strong.

How old is that pump? Maybe she is just wore out? It was an easy fix, I think three bolts if memory serves me right. Just paint the pump before installing if you get a new one. I use the Cummins brand paint, around $27 a can, expensive, but worth the money in the long run, as it stays put.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.