Detroit DDEC-V stalling and misfiring
01-07-2020, (Subject: Detroit DDEC-V stalling and misfiring ) 
RE: Detroit DDEC-V stalling and misfiring
Bought a new fuel pump and no start still, fuel pump wasnt pumping.

Pulled pump and cranked engine and the gear at the back of the compressor isnt spinning while engine is cranking.

Bad compressor? Or did my front gear train just come apart?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
wait i read that more closely. you said IT WILL NOT RUN on ether?

if this is true tow it, you got bigger issues.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
I had one do something like that . It was the ECM.
replyreply
Same thing happened to me on an n14

Turned out to be a sheared shaft in the accessory drive

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , snailexpress
(01-07-2020 )hhow55 Wrote:  Same thing happened to me on an n14

Turned out to be a sheared shaft in the accessory drive

I think my big concern is the fact that it woukdnt run/start on ether either, Uni figures when I turn it over with the valve cover off that my top end may not be rotating also.

That would be just my luck to be doing 2 motors at the same time!

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Good ol Detroit and that pesky bull gear everyone forgets about. They are damn near guaranteed to fail at 900,000 or shortly after. If this is the case, I hope you caught it just in time that the cylinders didn't get a chance to play table tennis with your overhead.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock
So I popped the valve cover and pulled off the steering pump and when I cranked the motor, the cam and rockers are moving and the accessory drive is spinning, but the compressor shaft is not.

Guessing the compressor seized up and snapped the key for the compressor gear which stopped the fuel pump from turning.

It's odd that it wouldnt run on ether but I have tried to cold start this truck with ether before and it wouldnt take then as well, engines always been hard to crank, slow cranking when cold compared to my other trucks and wont start well in any type of cold weather, always ran higher egt as well, maybe heads getting worn, I'm not sure.

Gonna tow it to the shop and tear into it in the warmth rather than this side of the road, open field -25c crap I've been doing. Hope this is my problem and not something bigger.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2
01-08-2020, (Subject: Detroit DDEC-V stalling and misfiring ) 

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , hhow55 , Chamberpains , Mattman , snailexpress
01-08-2020, (Subject: Detroit DDEC-V stalling and misfiring ) 

There we go, fixed. This one sure had me stumped.... and worried!

Compressor seized solid and snapped the bolt in half that holds the gear on, the fuel pump in turn stopped spinning.

Thank you so much for your help guys! I greatly appreciate it.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead , snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.