Isx 870 with 1.2 million miles 05 international
01-11-2020, (Subject: Isx 870 with 1.2 million miles 05 international ) 
Isx 870 with 1.2 million miles 05 international
I'm brand new here but I'm seriously impressed by how much info and knowledge there is for these engines. I'm looking to get started with major TLC on my truck. It's a 2005 international 9400i eagle with a cummins isx 400st cm870 bone stock at just under 1.2 million miles. 2.64 rears and a 10 speed. It leaks oil from the oil cooler gasket and now from the oil pan gasket as well. Front and back covers leak as well. I'm definitely due for inframe and out of frame overhauls so I'm just here looking for any advice on how to get started here. I will be ordering parts and doing all the wrench turning at home. Considered selling or trading it but I feel that the truck is worth putting the time and effort into rebuilding. I change oil every 10,000 miles and that's basically all I've ever had to do. I'm blown away at this engine still running so well and strong but am well aware that the time has come for major work to be done. What do y'all think?
replyreply
RE: Isx 870 with 1.2 million miles 05 international
Rawze has an entire YouTube series about in framing an isx.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...Zc_5ZwzDiw

Are you mechanically inclined? Have you done a lot of mechanical work?
Your gonna need a counterbore cutter(around $2,500 for a new one) you'll also need a way to lift the cylinder head off and on the block, like a tow motor or build a gantry crane on wheels like Rawze has. Also a liner pulling tool to get the old liners out and a compressor to check the protrusion of the new liner. The cost of the special tools is probably about the same amount as you would pay in labor to have Mr. Hagg rebuild it for you, just throwing that out there.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
invest on a decent set of rears while your at it too. 2.64 is horrible for any kind of weights and is hard on the engine. -- hell, even my car is geared better than that.lol

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
Me, I would do it myself, buy the tools or rent/loan from another shop. There are a few specialty tools that you will need to do it right. Watch the Rawze videos on the engine rebuild, follow Quickserve to the letter and you will have a solid motor.

That is what I did when I rebuilt mine in Rawze's driveway. Do not trust a shop, unless it is Mr Hagg's or Unilevers. Many of us have been burned by these Cummins certified ASE mechanic shops, they are butchers in most every case and have no business rebuilding anything, few if any shops out here can rebuild these motors properly. There is a long list of folks here, including myself to testify to that.

Remember this, if you buy another truck, a newer one, you will be in framing it it short order in most every case. Stay with the equipment you know and fix it. Just my .02.
replyreply
The rears dont concern me too much as it's a local truck that doesn't run hard at all. I've babied it and run a nice and easy 63-65 loaded no more than 84000. Rpms stay from 13 to 14 at that speed. Gears are tall but I do mainly highways and I dont nascar with other truckers at stoplights. We have parts to inframe and we just completed our 2001 detroit 60 last year and she's running well (knock on fake international woodgrain) lol nonetheless I'd love a 13 speed on 3.36s if my wallet allows this year. I haul aggregate which is one hell of a roller coaster. Thanks for the input and keep em coming. I'm here to learn -Junior
replyreply
(01-11-2020 )Izzyrod52 Wrote:  The rears dont concern me too much as it's a local truck that doesn't run hard at all. I've babied it and run a nice and easy 63-65 loaded no more than 84000. Rpms stay from 13 to 14 at that speed. Gears are tall but I do mainly highways and I dont nascar with other truckers at stoplights. We have parts to inframe and we just completed our 2001 detroit 60 last year and she's running well (knock on fake international woodgrain) lol nonetheless I'd love a 13 speed on 3.36s if my wallet allows this year. I haul aggregate which is one hell of a roller coaster. Thanks for the input and keep em coming. I'm here to learn -Junior
Hauling Aggregates @ 80k+ I would look seriously for a 13 sp and 3.70 or lower gears. That engine does not like running @ 1300 rpm. It's killing the liners and head. It should never be under 1450 loaded and making power.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze
Agree with Squish, the rpm's need to be up. I have an 18 speed, and run mine in low 8th to keep the rpm's at a steady 1700, I have the 3:42 gears and have found this to be the best solution for the so so gearing in my truck.

Also, this is on a fresh in frame, and the motor loves it, she is finally breaking in as I have been able to do some cross country trucking along with running through a few mountain ranges. Running these motors at or under 1400 rpms and you are just asking for trouble as Squish stated.
replyreply
So am I literally better off running 70-75 to turn 1400? RPM
replyreply
*1700 sorry
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.