Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870
01-15-2020, (Subject: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 ) 
Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870

I found this nice surprise yesterday. I plan on hanging a new manifold and turbo + all attaching hoses and lines when I get to pulling it apart. I do see a little oil residue around the port but I'm hoping its nothing to worry about.

What is the best approach to extracting the broken stud? I can't say I'm any good at extracting bolts and this one I just dont want to get in deeper than I have to. It is #6 and the hardest to get to. I have a mig welder with stick capabilities. I also have drill, grinders and various extractors. The approach I want to do is to stick weld a nut to the stud and turn it out. Is this the best 1st approach? Any finesse tips from the guys that do them more frequently?

Also when I get a new manifold, I'd like to know if there is a manifold part number that doesn't have the EGR port being I don't have EGR on this truck anymore. I want to eliminate having to use the blocking plate. But I still need the tube for the exhaust pressure sensor in the correct place.

replyreply
RE: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870
It looks pretty close to being flush with the head. If it was me, I'd try a pick or small punch to try turning it first. If that didn't work, I'd mig a nut on it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
(01-15-2020 )Nostalgic Wrote:  It looks pretty close to being flush with the head. If it was me, I'd try a pick or small punch to try turning it first. If that didn't work, I'd mig a nut on it.

I had three broke off at same time on mine. Left handed drill bit done the deal on two, the other one had to mig a nut on. Good luck
replyreply
I just went through this not long ago, Here's my story.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=5241

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-15-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  ...
Also when I get a new manifold, I'd like to know if there is a manifold part number that doesn't have the EGR port being I don't have EGR on this truck anymore. I want to eliminate having to use the blocking plate. But I still need the tube for the exhaust pressure sensor in the correct place.

order the section for #5,6 and cut out the bung on the front side section for the exhaust pressure sensor pipe, drill hole, then weld it onto the new piece.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
When you buy the new updated manifold make sure you get the slip joint rings for them very easy to miss.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Rawze
Used one of these for the first time about 8 or 9 months ago. I think it was the smallest one. https://www.theoriginalrescuebit.com I use this small die grinder to run it http://corporate.cornwelltools.com/webca...nder.html# Over the last 45 or so years I have seen and tried just about everything for removing broken bolts and studs except EDM. Until I tried one of these, carbide burrs in the die grinder was as good as it got. Had an exhaust manifold bolt broken off in a tight place. Compounded the problem by breaking a bit off in it. My bad. No good access for a mig. Was down to pulling the head or lifting the engine enough to get it above the frame rail. This was a little "toy" V8 diesel in a medium duty truck. The packaging sucks. So I saw this and thought OK I'll take a shot. Didn't really have much hope it would live up to it's claims. I was wrong. These are very very hard. Not only does the tip cut so do the flutes. I have a set of hardness testing files. I couldn't make a mark on these. Had a question and the owner/inventer actually answered the phone. Seems these have been around for a while but I had never come across them. Have used it maybe 4 times total now. It will gut that bolt in less than 2 minutes. Whats left of the bolt threads will fall out or can be picked out. The faster you can run it the better and it runs dry. Last use was on a DT466 that came in with 3 exhaust manifold bolts pre broken off flush with head. Got the manifold off and went after the broken bolts. About a minute per bolt. Next time maybe I will break a tap off to make it a challenge!!! Just kidding
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman , Chamberpains
i have a source for the for the front manifold piece without EGR and the proper bung cast into it. They are around 250bucks.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Running rough , Rawze , marek4792 , Chamberpains , 2dlb
01-16-2020, (Subject: Broken exhaust manifold bolt CM870 ) 
(01-15-2020 )Unilevers Wrote:  i have a source for the for the front manifold piece without EGR and the proper bung cast into it. They are around 250bucks.

PM me. I believe I'll be tearing into it this weekend. If this source can get me all 3 manifold pieces that would be even better. I hate sourcing things from multiple places. Will it need the slip joint seals marek4792 referenced?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.