Firewall push air fittings
01-20-2020, (Subject: Firewall push air fittings ) 
Firewall push air fittings
I'm fighting air leaks on this plastic square of push fittings on my t880. Can I replace this whole thing with some compression fittings or am I stuck buying a new one of these? The only thing holding me back from replacing it with compression fittings is that one side of this thing has 6 lines going in it and the other side has 7. So somewhere something must be supplying air for multiple lines.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Firewall push air fittings
Been there.... It's more than just a straight through - there's ports in the manifold, so you're pretty much stuck buying OE. If you can get to the one that's leaking, you may be able to pull and replace the oring in it, but mine was so gummed up with dirt I couldn't even push in the fittings to pull the air lines out on most of them.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: ClarkWGriswald , Brock , JMBT
Often times you can just push the tab in and remove the air line. Cut the old end of the air line off and shove it back in. It's often times the air line itself that gets a groove cut in it. Cut that off and put fresh in and it might fix you up for awhile. Unless you have what Nostalgic had. Then he can probably guide you in the direction of which cuss words to use and how many may be appropriate.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ClarkWGriswald , Hp510
I've tried cutting the lines and even put new lines in and they still leak. I've had little success replacing the o rings in push fittings. Looks like I'll have to find a new one. I've also tried a variety of 4 letter words with no success there too lol.
replyreply
Take the leaking line out.
Pull the ring out with needle nose
Fish the old o ring out with picks. ( a small cutter pin with a little 90 end on it works good too)
Spit on me o ring and shove it in.
Reinstall the hold ring
Reinstall air line
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ClarkWGriswald
Just replaced that in my 2012 pete 587. Some of them have a common air supply, so it's not just straight through. Also, when I pulled a line out of mine the brass sleeve got stuck in the end. Never could get it to reseal correctly after that. You could probably make your own with a bunch of fittings and T's, but it'd probably cost about the same once you were done.

Just a word of caution, put labels on each line as you take it out. Most are color coded, but there are a few that look identical. When I did mine i swapped 2 black ones. Didn't even notice until I went to hit the air horn during an annual inspection and instead of the horn all I got was air pissing out the quick release. Real easy to get em mixed up. Also found that I needed to snip the ends of each hose because the previous manifold had dug some nice grooves into the outside.

damn thing wasn't cheap either. $200+ from the pete dealer.

On the bright side, one of the unused spots in the manifold turned out to be a great place to pipe my boost gauge through the firewall. I just snaked the 1/8" hose through one of the unused ports.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , ClarkWGriswald
It’s probably not as bad as it looks to just replace. I did mine on a Volvo. It only took like a hour or so. Easier than It looked.
replyreply
I'm not sure these have the orings I'm used to seeing in push fittings. Got the collet off but the insert seems to go all the way through and I'm not sure how to get it out to get to the orings like I normally do. Might just clean it up good and see if that helps before getting a new one.

I did find the group that seems tied together. The rest look like they pass right through.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
These seem even cheaper made than most. I would just be replacing the whole thing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ClarkWGriswald

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.