New guy
01-23-2020, (Subject: New guy ) 
RE: New guy
(01-22-2020 )Blott4 Wrote:  Yes i should go talk with the tech at the shop. I been reading quickserve and looked into the torque procedure. I set my wrench to 50ft lbs for the initial torque then back off a turn then torque to 22ft lbs then torque turn 60 degrees. First bolt torqued 50 no problem second one the damn bolt snapped well before hitting 50!!? If im looking at the paint marks correctly it looks like they torque turned them 120 degrees instead of 60(they went two "flats"). Would that have stressed these bolts enough to cause that one to break? Didnt want to screw with the injector adjustments because i dont have a in-lb dial torque wrench but i guess ill find one and get that done. At this point i think i need to pull all the bolts and make sure they are torqued correctly. Any pointers on what brand or where you guys got your dial gauge torque wrenches? thanks

You can alternatively just set your torque to 98 ft-lbs and just torque them (working them down evenly, using a cross pattern) that way instead of the torque+ method on those rocker shaft bolts. - They are not stretch bolts, and do not actually require the torque+ methods like in other parts of the engine.

Also, ALWAYS check your detent clearances before calling it good do go after they have been removed and re-installed ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb

Pump gear & housing with 1.2KM
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Sad, did not even install a new pump. What a mess. I don't see any shims either, were any in there?
replyreply
2dlb, I worked with a couple Detroit Diesel journeyman that worked warranty work for the shop I was at and they would install almost everything with impact guns. They were famous for saying "cross thread is better than no thread" Very sad.

HOW ABOUT DO THE JOB RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT!!
replyreply
(01-23-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  2dlb, I worked with a couple Detroit Diesel journeyman that worked warranty work for the shop I was at and they would install almost everything with impact guns. They were famous for saying "cross thread is better than no thread" Very sad.

HOW ABOUT DO THE JOB RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT!!

People constantly ask me why I don't take my truck to the dealer and why I now do my own repairs. These, and other stories, are exactly why. You can't trust someone else to do a quality job with your equipment. (With a few exceptions, of course) Plus, I've always felt that the better I know and understand my equipment, the better I can be at taking care of it.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Waterloo
Great info, thanks for the responses and horror stories. Rawze in your utube video when you helped an owner replace his injectors you mentioned 70 ftlbs, is 98 a more accurate torque for these bolts? I will look into the digital torque wrenches, i like the idea of having a degree feature built right in.
replyreply
always remember to clean out any oil or other liquids from any bolt holes
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(01-23-2020 )Blott4 Wrote:  Great info, thanks for the responses and horror stories. Rawze in your utube video when you helped an owner replace his injectors you mentioned 70 ftlbs, is 98 a more accurate torque for these bolts? I will look into the digital torque wrenches, i like the idea of having a degree feature built right in.

The trq+ method always results in 98 - 102 ft lbs when done correctly, every time I have measured it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb
(01-23-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Sad, did not even install a new pump. What a mess. I don't see any shims either, were any in there?
yes there were however the new pump was all cast iron. The install procedure allows from like 3-22thou backlash if it doesn't fall in the u are supposed to request another pump
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.