First time truck owner and first time poster
02-08-2020, (Subject: First time truck owner and first time poster ) 
RE: First time truck owner and first time poster
(02-08-2020 )sprayerman Wrote:  Ok bare with me I'm just trying to learn about this fuel pump. When you say change all the guts are you talking barrels, plungers and tappets? Even if they appear to have been done once already? Thanks

Correct. Do them all together. You're gonna open it up to visually inspect it yourself, might as well future-proof it. Think of it as an insurance policy. You pay a little upfront to safeguard against a massive cost later. If any of those parts fail then the broken pieces work their way through the entire engine. You don't want to be driving down the road every mile wondering if one of the original parts of that pump head started dropping metal shavings into you oil, working it's way into all the places that it should never be. Just because the part looked good 150,000 miles ago doesn't mean it still looks good now, or a week from now. Change them out now and that's one less thing to worry about for another 400,000 miles or so.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , tree98 , sprayerman
02-08-2020, (Subject: First time truck owner and first time poster ) 
(02-08-2020 )sprayerman Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-08-2020 )sprayerman Wrote:  ..
The fuel pump sounds like the first biggest concern. I called the engine serial number into the dealer and they pulled the warranty info. When the truck was three years old with roughly 300k on it the fuel pump was pulled apart inspected and had new tappets installed. Would you move forward assuming its been taken care of or would you have it done again? Thanks

have ALL the guts changed, and inspect the crank inside the pump, housing, etc. while at it. The 'certified network of nitwits' are the least trustworthy place you could possibly get info from, have anything done at, nor trust anything those morons will say. OEM = idiots with wrenches.. That what it should stand for.

- The tappets are the least of the worries on that thing at this point.

Ok bare with me I'm just trying to learn about this fuel pump. When you say change all the guts are you talking barrels, plungers and tappets? Even if they appear to have been done once already? Thanks

Yes, indeed

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , sprayerman
02-09-2020, (Subject: First time truck owner and first time poster ) 
Take it from me and everyone else that has mentioned the fuel pump. I bought a Freightliner with a 2250 in it. Full maintenance records and fuel pump had been opened checked and new plungers put in same as yours. Thought I was good to. Little did I actually know. Worked on truck couple days replacing sensors and getting truck ready to be put to work. First day first load 2 miles out got the dreaded 0559 code. Guess what? Yup. Fuel pump. Thanks to Rawze for beating a little sense into me I shut the truck down and got it to shop. That’s when I found out what happened. Luckily I didn’t destroy the engine but I took the route of fighting with company I bought the truck from and finally getting them to foot the entire bill but at a cost of truck being down for 3 months and idiots at dealership. $15,000 roughly over a fuel pump failure. Luckily I still had my other truck I was able to run while the Freightliner sat. Don’t postpone getting that pump dealt with. You could regret doing that. Best of luck bud.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Rawze , hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.