cm2250 rough idle
02-22-2020, (Subject: cm2250 rough idle ) 
RE: cm2250 rough idle
probably the only lottery i'll ever win.

As for helping, it's just what I do. Of course I got A LOT more to learn when it comes to these trucks/engines. But I like learning new things and I like to share what i've learned. If that helps someone else out then it's even better.

------------

Picked up the sensors but haven't installed them yet. Looking over the harness I found a spot top front of the engine where it appears to have worn through. Taped it up best I could and haven't had any issues since then. I'll still change the sensors since I got em, but I think the wire was just starting to contact the engine causing the intermittent signal loss. I'll see if I can get a picture in the daylight.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , hhow55 , Rawze
(02-22-2020 )JimT Wrote:  probably the only lottery i'll ever win.

As for helping, it's just what I do. Of course I got A LOT more to learn when it comes to these trucks/engines. But I like learning new things and I like to share what i've learned. If that helps someone else out then it's even better.

------------

Picked up the sensors but haven't installed them yet. Looking over the harness I found a spot top front of the engine where it appears to have worn through. Taped it up best I could and haven't had any issues since then. I'll still change the sensors since I got em, but I think the wire was just starting to contact the engine causing the intermittent signal loss. I'll see if I can get a picture in the daylight.

where you find one bad wire ... There are usually more in that same location just waiting to fail too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Did it again this morning. Shut down for about 12 hours last night, started up cold, about 35F just outside of St. Louis. Ran ok for a minute or 2 then SCR warmup kicked in for a couple minutes. AFTER that finished it went back to normal idle briefly before it started lugging? surging? Not sure what to call it. It drops down to about 690-700 rpm for about 1-2 seconds then back up to 725 for 1-2 seconds then repeats. It only does this when the engine is cold and I first start it up, but not every time. Once the coolant temp started climbing above 100 or so it went away.

I don't know what could be going on. This is after I taped up the wiring harness and replaced the main crank speed sensor.

While I had the tools out I also went and cleaned up the DPF doser injector. As I thought, 4000 miles and it was already getting clogged up. Not a lot of soot packed in there, but enough buildup to screw with the fuel spray.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
Did you solder repair those broken wires? Sensor wires absolutely need to be fully replaced or at very minimum, soldered.

Your problem sounds like a sensor fluctuating while it warms up. Have you monitored all your sensors voltages using Insite?
replyreply
(02-22-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Did you solder repair those broken wires? Sensor wires absolutely need to be fully replaced or at very minimum, soldered.

Your problem sounds like a sensor fluctuating while it warms up. Have you monitored all your sensors voltages using Insite?

No to the soldering. Best I could do in the parking lot was tape it up so it can't ground out on the engine.

As for the sensors, I've monitored it the best I could and haven't noticed anything that stands out as inaccurate and nothing fluctuating.

replyreply
Mine did the surging, like you describe. It turned out to be hydrocarbons flowing back into the intake, via the egr. Have you tried disconnecting the magic plug?. When I disconnected mine, it smoothed out beautifully.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
(02-22-2020 )hhow55 Wrote:  Mine did the surging, like you describe. It turned out to be hydrocarbons flowing back into the intake, via the egr. Have you tried disconnecting the magic plug?. When I disconnected mine, it smoothed out beautifully.

Good info. I'll look in to it next time it happens.

replyreply
02-23-2020, (Subject: cm2250 rough idle ) 

That whole harness (highlighted in yellow) is exposed to rot and bad weather.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
02-23-2020, (Subject: cm2250 rough idle ) 
(02-23-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  That whole harness (highlighted in yellow) is exposed to rot and bad weather.

Yes, that and other spots were the reason I was considering replacing the entire harnesses. Time and money have limited what I can do and when, and most of that has been spent on fixing/maintaining the aftertreatment systems. There are a lot of things that I know I need to address and I'm trying to do them as soon as possible. Part of me is worried that we will discover more things that I'm not currently aware of, but ultimately I'd rather know than blindly guess and hope.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.