Oil pan replacement
02-18-2020, (Subject: Oil pan replacement ) 
Oil pan replacement
Rawze, I'm going to drop my oil pan soon and replace it. I watch a great video you put out a while back where you dropped the pan and I noticed it was a bit of a PIA because of your air suspension. I don't have that type of suspension on my trk so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to remove. I noticed in your video that you had your front bumper removed. Will I need to remove the bumper to have room to pull the pan out?

TIA
replyreply
RE: Oil pan replacement
If you have a Prostar, and a normal suspension up front, the bumper can stay on. Just get the front end up on some blocks, 6 to 8 inches will work, chock the rear tires too. Pretty straight forward, remove the bolts, keep track of any hangers for any lines, etc. The bolts that accept hangers will be different than the normal pan bolts, they will have the extended threaded rod vs a bolt head. Make sure you put those back in the proper locations. They tend to be found on the driver side of the pan. You will need to pull up Cummins Quickserve, it will have all of the instructions, torque specs and the correct pattern to use when installing the new pan. You will find those instructions under the engine assembly section, oil pan.

You will have to work around the oil pickup tube, that is that chunk of metal you will bump into when you get the pan loose. I cannot remember if you will need to remove it to get the pan off, you may, it is held on with three bolts and is not difficult to loosen or remove if need be to get the pan out.

When you install the new pan and filter, be very careful when screwing in the front and rear bolts at the aluminum structures. Be very gently and precise in your installation. Do not force a bolt if it seems a bit cross threaded, back it out and start over. That aluminum is very soft up there, and if you strip out one of those holes you will need to install Helicoils to repair. Try not to strip these out, just be gentle and follow the torque specs to the letter, do not over tighten.

On the corners of the block, where the pan sits, you will need to use a gasket sealer on the block where you see the lines in the block corners. Not real heavy, just enough to keep oil from escaping.

And, when I installed my oil pan, I coated it with quite a few coats of POR-15, and then several coats of the red Cummins brand engine paint. I would remove all of the plugs in the pan if you do this and then lay on the POR-15. These pans are made of Chinese steel, not that best quality as they tend to rot out prematurely. I would install a Fumoto quick oil drain plug too. One less things for the oil change guys to screw up. The ISX takes the T-211 drain.

http://fumotousa.com/parts.php?partnumber=67
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620 , rapidisimo , JimT , tree98 , JMBT
Why not go with a stainless steel pan if you’re replacing it no need to paint and won’t rust out that’s what I replaced mine with
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo
How much is a SS oil pan? I found a few manufacturers, and none had any pricing, you had to call... I guess if you have to ask, you probably cannot afford one. That will buy quite a bit of POR-15. And if it is Chinese stainless, I would paint and POR-15 it, because odds are, it will rot out just as quickly as the Chinesium steel one will.
replyreply
(02-18-2020 )Jokerone33 Wrote:  Why not go with a stainless steel pan if you’re replacing it no need to paint and won’t rust out that’s what I replaced mine with

I found a used one in pretty good shape, for a really good prize around the way.
replyreply
02-19-2020, (Subject: Oil pan replacement ) 
(02-18-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  How much is a SS oil pan? I found a few manufacturers, and none had any pricing, you had to call... I guess if you have to ask, you probably cannot afford one. That will buy quite a bit of POR-15. And if it is Chinese stainless, I would paint and POR-15 it, because odds are, it will rot out just as quickly as the Chinesium steel one will.

I paid just over 1200$ for it shipped to my house with a bolt kit and a one piece gasket
replyreply
(02-19-2020 )Jokerone33 Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  How much is a SS oil pan? I found a few manufacturers, and none had any pricing, you had to call... I guess if you have to ask, you probably cannot afford one. That will buy quite a bit of POR-15. And if it is Chinese stainless, I would paint and POR-15 it, because odds are, it will rot out just as quickly as the Chinesium steel one will.

I paid just over 1200$ for it shipped to my house with a bolt kit and a one piece gasket

That's crazy! I just bought a used one for $200
replyreply
For $1200 hope it was made out of heavy aluminum!!

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
Is 1/4 inch stainless steel and it hold 15 gallons of oil it was the same price as a new one from the dealer
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.