Trying to help a friend, any ideas??
02-26-2020, (Subject: Trying to help a friend, any ideas?? ) 
Trying to help a friend, any ideas??
Hey guys, got a buddy here with a brand new X15, only 50K on the truck, brand new set of batteries, as of yesterday, fully charged, he turns the key and the motor tries to turn over but won’t make a full revolution. Solenoid is clicking, starter tries every time key is turned but won’t turn the motor over. I am at a loss.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Trying to help a friend, any ideas??
Try to bar the engine by hand. See if it feels and turns as expected for an ISX, or if it is very tight.

If it turns over by hand normally/easily, then I would point my fingers towards starter, wiring, starter safety relay, battery connections somewhere, etc.

If it is hard to turn over, Could be a lot of mechanical things. Start by removing the drive belt off the front of engine and see if it frees it up (bad alternator or pulley, etc). and go from there (more serious problems like hydra-locking, bent rod, spun bearing, galled piston, failed fuel pump or air compressor, clutch/tranny creating resistance problem, etc.).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Rawze, thanks so much for the quick reply! It was another guy waiting to deliver with us this morning, that was having the problems. I talked to him a bit and mentioned some of the things you said to try, but he decided to call the dealer’s service truck since it’s under warranty. (His truck not mine)

I guess if ever there were a reason to have a new truck it would be to not have to stand out in a drizzly freezing rain and diagnose a problem.

Thanks again though for the fast reply and good ideas.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(02-26-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  ...
guess if ever there were a reason to have a new truck it would be to not have to stand out in a drizzly freezing rain and diagnose a problem.

i still would not have called the stealers$it over it. <- i value my equipment and time.

He will be out a lot of money for that road service call + whatever else they half-arsse. and poissibly towing bill, and all sorts of other lost revenue waiting for them to pull their fingers out of their arsses.

being blind and stupid = problems making any money in trucking.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
Yes I totally agree. I would want to do the work myself but..... it’s not my truck. Anyhow I went on in and delivered and he called a service truck. On the way out I checked on him and he confirmed it was the starter. It just had a bad starter from the factory. They replaced it and he is rolling again.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.