Ever take apart a Turbo actuator?
02-28-2020, (Subject: Ever take apart a Turbo actuator? ) 
Ever take apart a Turbo actuator?
./uploads/202002/post_1367_1582927705_736f1629a330ea11ebec8bed5b4f74e1.jpg

Generic pic.

The engine swap I'm doing, filled with coolant and there was a coolant leak from the actuator, turns out the threads in the actuator are stripped right out so I was going to buy a new actuator when i noticed it looks like the top housing can come apart? Cummins doesnt sell individual pieces but I wonder if any of you have taken one apart? I thought maybe I could grab a core and use the top section of the housing.....

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
RE: Ever take apart a Turbo actuator?
They sure can..Rawze has S doing them. A couple hundred to put in new bearings...as a matter of fact my old housing is still there but the board was bad...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
Could also try a helicoil

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(02-28-2020 )Brock Wrote:  Generic pic.

The engine swap I'm doing, filled with coolant and there was a coolant leak from the actuator, turns out the threads in the actuator are stripped right out so I was going to buy a new actuator when i noticed it looks like the top housing can come apart? Cummins doesnt sell individual pieces but I wonder if any of you have taken one apart? I thought maybe I could grab a core and use the top section of the housing.....

Sandra does them. I trained her on how to do them and she is good at them.. she has torn down, cleaned up, replaced bearings, boards, etc. in hundreds of them by now. She has gotten good at it.

Most of the parts cannot be gotten. BUT that does not mean a person cannot replace all the bearings (they can be sourced separately), clean up the gears (or machine them where necessary), replace bad boards and other components with tested good ones, etc...

if u want to send it to her, just give me a ring. I PM'd you my number.

she is currently getting $200 USD (does not include shipping to send it back) to go thru one if it can be saved.

If it is no good however, she charges nothing for her efforts (except what it costs to ship back if need be) .. however in return for this effort, ... She will also remove any good parts from it and put in all bad parts (no parts of it will be missing), then send it back to you, so that it can be turned in as a core. She does this so that those parts that are still good can be used to save someone else's in the future. That is how it works so that she has a steady flow of parts to at least save some of them for folks.

The ratio she sees of one's that can be saved, vs not saved is about 60/40 most of the time.

=-==
There is no warranty of this work ... she cannot guarantee every one will always be perfect .. (why she does not charge very much for doing this), however .. She simply tries to make them run as best she can, installs about $80 worth of new bearings, sand blasts it to clean it up, removes any anodizing/crud.etc. in the coolant chamber, cleans up the gaskets (or replaces them if they are bad), cleans up, tests, and coats the board in conformal coating, uses hi-temp synthetic grease, repairs nicked/cut wires that are found on the cable, etc. . and thoroughly tests the actuator, runs calibration tests, etc. on a turbo housing before calling it good, then puts a tag on it saying exactly what was done before sending it back.

She does not re-man them,.. but simply freshens them up, changes the bearings out etc. (described above) and makes them work the best they can for someone who might want to extend the life of it to prevent having to replace one that may not have much wrong with it, nothing more. _ If you have one that is full of rust and crud and looks like it has been thru WW3, etc ... don't bother sending it to her, she likely cannot save it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , JMBT , Brock , Signature620 , Roysbigtoys
Man that is awesome! Glad to hear we have another option instead of just shelling out $1100 for a new one!! I will definitely send mine to her when it starts acting up.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
(02-28-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  Man that is awesome! Glad to hear we have another option instead of just shelling out $1100 for a new one!! I will definitely send mine to her when it starts acting up.

It is not a bad idea to have done if your actuator is old, and your turbo gets replaced. That way the worn out bearings, gears, etc. do not wear out the new turbo control arm due to excess play in the actuator.

I had her do mine recently, it has about 750k on the turbo and actuator right now. - turbo still felt quite good, and actuator now has all new bearings in it.

turbo + actuator was replaced at 583k miles. -- truck now rolled the odometer across the 1,333,333 miles mark this morning. Was kinda fun to see that. lol

BTW: Someone just e-mailed me with this message...

Quote:-- Hey there, my name is {name removed}. I’d like to join the forum group.

...cm871...

The truck has 900,000 on it and has been sitting for 3.5 years due to
{content removed for privacy reasons}

Long story shot I’ve sold all my other trucks but 2 and have no more drivers

I want to get it back on the road in the worst way but I also have a vgt turbo on it that was starting to hang up when I parked it. I’ve watched Rawze’s videos on egg tune ups, which I have performed, and find info on this forum page insightful.

{content removed for privacy reasons}

The motor is an excellent motor in my opinion but the turbo is it’s downfall. I have had to replace vgt’s on this truck and another cm871 I had every 200,000 miles. They are too expensive and I get no life out of them. I’m really hoping to join and find a better way than spending $4k on a turbo every 2 years.

My replay was ...

your doing something very wrong if your eating thru turbo's. they
typically last about 600k miles or more.

I also gave him an invite code, so lets see what happens. - this guy is obviously doing something very very wrong if he has chewed thru that many turbo's.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Brock , 2dlb , tree98 , Roysbigtoys

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.