Conmet preset hubs
03-06-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
RE: Conmet preset hubs
Yes the cone is what I am calling a spacer.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
03-21-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
Updates on checking drive hub bearing torque.

Found one that has a different nut than the other 3 hubs. It uses the captured nut like my front hubs. The size of the nut as well as the retainer ring is different. Why one of the four is different I don't know. The axle nuts had paint in the threads. I don't know if it was factory paint or some one had painted it. I will say if the 4 drive axle hub nuts this was the only one that was tight. Put torque wrench on and clicked 500ft/lbs.

Now the other two rear axle hub nuts were hand tight. Took one off with my hand. Ridiculous. I know someone had been into one before cause they used silicone for axle flange gasket. The nuts can't back off so. Whomever is doing this doesn't know what they are doing. I have had 3 drive axle nuts loose and 1 steer loose. These are the easiest to do torque and you are done. No guessing no figuring just torque and forget.
Here is a picture of the type of lock they use.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
03-21-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
250+ ft-lb specification hub nuts are typically for sleeved hubs.

non-sleeved hubs, it is typically 50-70 ft-lbs.

Did you verify all the axle sleeves were present on the ones that you say were under-torqued?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
03-22-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
That picture looks like a stemco brand single nut lock system,I have that style on my steer axle
replyreply
03-23-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
Ya, now that I looked at that picture. I have the same nut system. But I do NOT have crush sleeves. They have a totally different torque pattern then the ones with the crush sleeve. You can NOT mix the 2 up. It will be very dangerous to move the vehicle if you do. I would verify you have crush sleeves behind that nut before running it. You risk trashing the bearings and catastrophic failure if you torque the nut to crush sleeve specs. Without having them present.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar
03-23-2020, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
Made it 260 miles wheels haven't feel off yet. Yes I did check to verify that sleeve was in between bearings before torqued down. Wheel we off the ground and spun nice and free.

Why the nuts were not torqued down is something I can't answer. I know two of the hubs been messed with because one was done when I bought truck and another had silicone for an axle flange gasket. I don't foresee any troubles with my hubs.

Next is front spring pins and bushings. Mine has the threaded pins. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

replyreply
08-03-2023, (Subject: Conmet preset hubs ) 
Thought I would just add my question to this thread...

I'm currently replacing the steer axle wheel bearings on my Cascadia and am getting some conflicting info about the bearing torque prior to checking endplay. Maybe someone has come across this before.

I have a Meritor MFS-12143a steer axle according to my info tag on the dash. When I search the letter/number combination on the rear of my hub, I'm coming up with a Conmet hub. There is a sleeve between the inner/outer bearings, but here's the curveball. .. It's using an AxiLock 2 1/8" nut. The other specs I have been given elsewhere do not use the AxiLock nut.

Here's the question...do I go off Conmet, Meritor, or AxiLock's torquing sequence? I would think AxiLock, but the final torque is drastically different with that nut. Initial torque is 200lb/ft with the final at 75lb/ft. Other Conmet sleeved hubs have much greater initial and final torque values.
replyreply
(08-03-2023 )SquareOne Wrote:  Thought I would just add my question to this thread...

I'm currently replacing the steer axle wheel bearings on my Cascadia and am getting some conflicting info about the bearing torque prior to checking endplay. Maybe someone has come across this before.

I have a Meritor MFS-12143a steer axle according to my info tag on the dash. When I search the letter/number combination on the rear of my hub, I'm coming up with a Conmet hub. There is a sleeve between the inner/outer bearings, but here's the curveball. .. It's using an AxiLock 2 1/8" nut. The other specs I have been given elsewhere do not use the AxiLock nut.

Here's the question...do I go off Conmet, Meritor, or AxiLock's torquing sequence? I would think AxiLock, but the final torque is drastically different with that nut. Initial torque is 200lb/ft with the final at 75lb/ft. Other Conmet sleeved hubs have much greater initial and final torque values.

Front Comnet Sleeved hub bearing sets get torqued to 225 ft-lbs (+ any necessary clockwise only rotation to get to the next locking position for the nut) and left there. They DO NOT GET BACKED OFF!.

-- Only non-sleeved hub bearing sets get backed off of.

After final torque, make sure you can spin the hubs by hand. Should have a tiny bit of resistance (a couple of extended fingers should turn them) but not hard to turn by having to use your whole hand.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
Thanks Rawze...while viewing a document Axilok just emailed me, there was a side note mentioning the use of sleeved bearings. The Axilok procedure called for the manufacturer's torque spec when encountering that situation, which in this case would be Conmet.

That's what I did (basically same procedure you just mentioned) and it feels like you described. Hadn't messed with sleeved bearings prior to this, so wanted to be sure I wasn't about to over torque the new ones.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.