Help Code 2636
03-07-2020, (Subject: Help Code 2636 ) 
Help Code 2636
2013 paccar px-8 (Cummins ISC) tuned. I purchased insite soley to read codes and Code 2636 VGT Actuator Driver Circuit-Abnormal update rate appeared. Any info would be appreciated. Can I just unplug it? The truck is not running rough.
replyreply
03-08-2020, (Subject: Help Code 2636 ) 
RE: Help Code 2636
has it only activated once or a whole bunch of times? once might be a fluke but several activations could show an issue.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Genovese45
2 days after the tune it just started popping up, so while driving its just buzzing but no derate. Truck drives the same
replyreply
Bad tune possibly, who did it?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(03-07-2020 )Genovese45 Wrote:  ...VGT Actuator Driver Circuit-Abnormal update rate ...Can I just unplug it?

not if you value your enigne and its longevity.

This code is common if one of the emissions system components is acting up and someone blocked all the fault codes for them from showing up in the dash. Causes the J1939 bus to become overloaded with error signals and the ecm ignores them and other devices like the turbo signals get lost/clobbered sometimes causing this kind of errors.

This code can also start showing up if the harnesses was unplugged to the emissions systems components and did not properly install a terminating resistor at the end of the harness for the J1939 again.

(all of this points very strongly towards a bad delete program and/or someone making mistakes with disconnecting things improperly, etc.).

(03-08-2020 )Genovese45 Wrote:  2 days after the tune it just started popping up, so while driving its just buzzing but no derate. Truck drives the same

engine issues aside, the chances of having bad programming is very high in this trucking industry. It is like 95% chances that improper things could have been done to those emissions systems cans and/other other mechanical mods. If not programmed by one of the very, very few ppl known for half-decent programming. ++ all the mechanical things dealt with properly ... this only leads to problems and failed engine or turbo after a while. -- who did the de-mandate?

Should also start reading thru the hundreds of horror stories from all the people that have come here in the past with bad de-mandates ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BLAKE7700
You should measure the resistance of the J1939 circuit and see how close it is to 60-ohms, and how close it is to 120-ohms with the turbo actuator unplugged. If your getting 120-ohms with the actuator plugged in, and a very high resistance with it unplugged, then a terminating resistor (many trucks have the second terminating resistor under the frame down by the emissions systems) may be missing.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
its also very probably that your turbo/actuator has a issue and it has leaked coolant into the actuator and cooked it. Or you lost a wire on your communication wires to the actuator from the ECM. not saying it cant be the tune but those are things to look for aswell.

My 0.02$
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-02-2021, (Subject: Help Code 2636 ) 
(03-08-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  You should measure the resistance of the J1939 circuit and see how close it is to 60-ohms, and how close it is to 120-ohms with the turbo actuator unplugged. If your getting 120-ohms with the actuator plugged in, and a very high resistance with it unplugged, then a terminating resistor (many trucks have the second terminating resistor under the frame down by the emissions systems) may be missing.

Sorry in advance for the long story but I am trying to supply as much information as I can. I am having problem with a 2013 western star 4900 sf with a isx15 engine serial number is 68121k021 with a CM2250 ecm. Truck was towed into shop with a hole through both sides of the block. Truck was previously fully had the tape deck un jammed, had a non vgt turbo on it, owner decided they wanted a vgt turbo with the new engine I put in so their engine brake would work better. Engine harness was all cut up for stuff that was un plugged after who ever de mandated it. I put a new engine harness on it after putting reman engine in, the reman engine came with a vgt turbo with actuator installed on the engine and appeared to be new. Had to have tune re done to get all the vgt stuff turned back on. Stop engine and check engine light on after tune but insite does not show any faults. I hooked up with jpro just to see if it sees anything. code spn 641 fmi 9 or code 2636 on cummins comes on as active then goes away, if i hit refresh it comes back instantly as active and then disappears off the screen. Seems to run fine but have not test drove yet since I am waiting on a new exhaust flange for the outlet of the turbo to hook the exhaust up. I have read a couple post on this forum that are about the same problem to get some pointers on what to look for. I measured resistance at the j1939 can bus #2 connector on top of the intake manifold and have 120 ohms with vgt plugged in and 16 Kohms with it un plugged. So now I am searching for terminating resistor. I checked over the harness for the after treatment and def controller it is all plugged in except a few plugs for stuff that is missing but main harness going to that over the transmission is plugged in. def controller is plugged in. I know the terminating resistor can be in different spots on different trucks but do you have any pointers to find them, I have never had to mess with terminator resistors before so dont really know what I am looking for to be honest. Wanting to find the second terminating resistor to.
replyreply
12-02-2021, (Subject: Help Code 2636 ) 
Are you using the same bad delete that was in it before? If so you probably won't ever see a fault code because most have been blocked. Your gonna need to get that tune straightened out before you go much further.

Someone could have thrown away the second terminating resistor when they hacked and slashed the harness so forget about looking for it and just wire in a new one.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.