Oil pressure intermittent
03-11-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure intermittent ) 
Oil pressure intermittent
I've got a 2013 ISX15 2250. We had an issue pop up this morning where the oil pressure jumped up to about 65psi then went back to normal around 40. My driver kept an eye on it and it was fine until about 60miles later and it did it again...just for a few seconds and back to normal. No CEL or fault codes.
Oil and filter is at about 10,000 miles and will be getting changed when it gets back. He took a look and oil looks fine...not thinned out or bubbly.
I'm thinking oil pressure sensor or a wire but thought I'd check here for any ideas.
Anybody ever have this happen?
replyreply
RE: Oil pressure intermittent
Oil pressure sensor, they do fail in time, and one of those sensors that when you replace, also change out the cam and crankshaft sensors. The crank and camshaft sensors are identical on the 871, I would imagine the 2250 is no different.

And you do know about the fuel pump? Rebuild prior to 400,000 miles?

If the oil pressure sensor is not the culprit, than we need to dig deeper. Is the mandate still on the motor? If it is, it could be carbon packing, soot monster clogging oil filter. EGR Tuneup in order, install secondary oil filter. Have you popped the top of the motor to inspect the cam lobes lately, and run the overhead? May be a good time to do that if not done in the past year.

If the mandate is no longer on the motor, who did the programming?

Just off the top of my head, others will chime in.
replyreply
(03-11-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Oil pressure sensor, they do fail in time, and one of those sensors that when you replace, also change out the cam and crankshaft sensors. The crank and camshaft sensors are identical on the 871, I would imagine the 2250 is no different.

And you do know about the fuel pump? Rebuild prior to 400,000 miles?

If the oil pressure sensor is not the culprit, than we need to dig deeper. Is the mandate still on the motor? If it is, it could be carbon packing, soot monster clogging oil filter. EGR Tuneup in order, install secondary oil filter. Have you popped the top of the motor to inspect the cam lobes lately, and run the overhead? May be a good time to do that if not done in the past year.

If the mandate is no longer on the motor, who did the programming?

Just off the top of my head, others will chime in.

It's demandated and full out of frame rebuild about 160,000km ago. High pressure pump was just swapped out with a new unit.
The delete was done before I bought the truck by a source not well liked by this forum. I've been in contact with Unilever about getting him to check it and make it the best it can be. I might get him to do the overhead at same time.
Now if oil prices would calm the hell down...so I know if I'll even have work for my truck
replyreply
I hope the guys that rebuilt that motor knew what they were doing. When me and Rawze rebuilt mine we found many skipped steps, and the wrong internal parts, from injectors to pistons and even the camshafts. The motor maybe had another 20,000 miles to go before she blew apart, the scissor gear on the injector cam was ready to fail. Lower end looked like they dry started the motor, oh, and they did not machine the block and or shim the liners. A minor missed step that took out my head in 70,000 miles.

Cost me a lot of money, two in frames in two years. I parked the truck and am back working in the oil fields.

You do have the turbo and EGT (Pyrometer) gauges installed, right?
replyreply
Put a mechanical gauge on it to confirm if it is actually the pressure or the sensor/gauge etc.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
03-13-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure intermittent ) 
(03-11-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I hope the guys that rebuilt that motor knew what they were doing. When me and Rawze rebuilt mine we found many skipped steps, and the wrong internal parts, from injectors to pistons and even the camshafts. The motor maybe had another 20,000 miles to go before she blew apart, the scissor gear on the injector cam was ready to fail. Lower end looked like they dry started the motor, oh, and they did not machine the block and or shim the liners. A minor missed step that took out my head in 70,000 miles.

Cost me a lot of money, two in frames in two years. I parked the truck and am back working in the oil fields.

You do have the turbo and EGT (Pyrometer) gauges installed, right?

Yeah it's ran great since the rebuild. Except a couple things that I didn't do when we rebuilt. Turbo and fuel pump. Those are changed now
Cummins came out and did some of the internal work when it was out of the truck.
Yup pyro gauge was installed when it was de-mandated
replyreply
03-13-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure intermittent ) 
I ended up pulling out the oil pressure sensor. Had oil inside the connector side. So I put in a new one and working good now.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.