Oil priming after internal engine work
03-22-2020, (Subject: Oil priming after internal engine work ) 
Oil priming after internal engine work
What are some of the setups you guys use for oil priming after internal engine repair? electric pumps? manual? fittings?.... Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
RE: Oil priming after internal engine work
https://amzn.to/2xeP7F0
I picked up a metric to barb fitting from summit and use the pre-filter port on the cooler housing. The pump will thermal shutdown on me once the air is out of the system and it starts building pressure, but I just let it cool and continue until I see oil running over my valve springs. It also works for pumping gear oil into the rears and transmission, but same problem with thicker oils - I just use as short of a hose as I can. If I was doing it more often, I'd have bought a better pump, but it works for me.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Magard , Pd6cas2 , LargeCar
Nostalgic, Is your shop heated when pump this oil or has it been under Pennsylvania temp conditions?

My shop is unheated. Just wondering if this pump will work when the oil is thick.
replyreply
I would use something like this and air regulate it to pump slowly they come in so many sizes and can be used for many different products while being completely easily user serviceable and rebuildable. used larger 2"-4" ones to pump everything from water to water agitated sand to basically sludge. most of the time if theres an issue take it apart clean the check balls put it back together and off to the races again.

so i would say in a shop these could be used for oil priming / crank case filling / diesel transfer out of a trucks tanks for tank removal and all sorts of other things then just run a bit of cleaner through it and onto its next product.

https://amzn.to/3983CaF

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
mine uses shop air pressure in a tank to force the oil in. works like a charm but its only heated obviously.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , Chamberpains , Roysbigtoys , LargeCar
(03-22-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Nostalgic, Is your shop heated when pump this oil or has it been under Pennsylvania temp conditions?

My shop is unheated. Just wondering if this pump will work when the oil is thick.

I usually leave it set to 55 or so, but I had issues using the pump when ambient temps were in the 70's and 80's. It'll pump for 30-60 seconds at about 5 psi or so before it's just too much load. I don't think it would move 75-90 gear oil that's cold soaked at 30 very well at all.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , JMBT , LargeCar
03-23-2020, (Subject: Oil priming after internal engine work ) 
We used a 12 volt pump that Mr Hagg uses in his shop, he was nice enough to let me borrow for when we attempted the initial start after the in frame. Worked like a champ, plugged right in the oil circuit there by the oil filter.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
I use this pump when inframing an enigne here at the house. It is a beast that will push oil thru the whole engine rapidly...

https://amzn.to/33Cknd9

I fill the engine with it + the drain pan oil plug open, circulate the oil a few times thru while someone turns engine over by hand several times.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Roysbigtoys , JMBT , LargeCar , JimT
Thanks to you all for the great ideas! Looks like I have some shopping to do.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.