oil filters
03-27-2020, (Subject: oil filters ) 
oil filters
Whats up guys? hope everyone is good with all the madness.
Question , what oil filters u guys running with these newer ISX 's (2250 & 2350) ? Which ones u guys like better of the big 3 ( Fleetguard , Donaldson & Baldwin)? Im thinking of running one of these along with Chevron / DELO 15w40 Syn blend . I know there isnt much love on here for synthetic , but i like chevrons claim of 64% in deposit reduction. Also ill be changing oil every 10k and pulling regular oil samples. BTW I will be picking truck up on Monday and taking it straight to my shop. Overhead will be set , top end inspected , fuel pump head rebuild and EGR tune up. Also my mechanic will go thru it in case i missed anything. I will be adding a amsoil bypass filter soon just gotta get a few things out of the way. Again hope everyone is AOK.
replyreply
03-27-2020, (Subject: oil filters ) 
RE: oil filters
I run the fleetguard filters for oil and fuel. Been using extreme 15/40 synthetic blend. I get it at a steal of a price. Also I use one gallon of 80w90 gear oil at each oil change.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
03-28-2020, (Subject: oil filters ) 
I typically use all fleetguard filters. 15w40 conventional Delo here, no issues with it. A lot of guys here use Rotella, end of the day, pick one and stick with it. I had Donaldson and NAPA Gold filters in the truck early on when a different mechanic was working on it. They ended up being more expensive with no noticeable difference. In fact the NAPA Gold crankcase filter clogged up faster then the fleetguard due to design differences.

It's not about love or hate for synthetic, it's about using the right tools for the job. Even Cummins recommends using conventional 15w40, unless you operate in a lot of below freezing temps. Will synthetic or syn-blend hurt? Probably not, but it's typically more expensive and most likely won't improve any performance.

As far as oil change interval, that should match you fuel mileage, though at 10k miles it won't hurt the engine. Usually get my PM lube/oil/filter changes done at TA/Petro. I only recently had a bad experience where the "tech" at TA lost or just forgot to put the o-ring back on the fill cap of my Davco. Under load it kept fuel flowing fine, but at idle instead of sucking fuel from the tank it would just draw air in from the cap. Somehow I made it 450 miles before it started sucking air into the primary fuel filter and the engine cut out. My local go-to mechanic (who I rarely use anymore) said that's what I get when I use "the cheap guys" to do my oil changes. But they are HALF THE PRICE he charges, twice as fast and available on the road whenever, wherever I am.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
here we go...

here is some reality check...

Rawze Wrote:Anything but a genuine fleetguard oil filter could eventually cost you your engine!. - Shocking as that sounds, I have seen it a dozen times already!.

The O-ring in most secondary brands of oil filters is prone to getting sucked into the engine block where it sits for a year or so, starts to crumble, then almost always ends up clogging one of the piston cooling jets, taking out a piston.

Baldwin filters have been particularly notorious for this.

Fleetguard had this problem too, but have since fixed it in the LF14000NN and newer model filters. There is a reason that the o-ring has long rubber flappers/retainers on it when looking down into the newer style filters.

I am not sure if these companies designs have changed since this started happening, but I have not particularly trusted any aftermarket brand of oil filters since.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , SquareOne , david24 , Waterloo , Toolguy
Thx for feed back, Rawze now that u mention i did here something about Baldwin years back. Also Fleetgurd does claim there seal is the best. Does anybody order there filters from the web? If so any quality issues?
replyreply
(03-28-2020 )JimT Wrote:  I typically use all fleetguard filters. 15w40 conventional Delo here, no issues with it. A lot of guys here use Rotella, end of the day, pick one and stick with it. I had Donaldson and NAPA Gold filters in the truck early on when a different mechanic was working on it. They ended up being more expensive with no noticeable difference. In fact the NAPA Gold crankcase filter clogged up faster then the fleetguard due to design differences.

It's not about love or hate for synthetic, it's about using the right tools for the job. Even Cummins recommends using conventional 15w40, unless you operate in a lot of below freezing temps. Will synthetic or syn-blend hurt? Probably not, but it's typically more expensive and most likely won't improve any performance.

As far as oil change interval, that should match you fuel mileage, though at 10k miles it won't hurt the engine. Usually get my PM lube/oil/filter changes done at TA/Petro. I only recently had a bad experience where the "tech" at TA lost or just forgot to put the o-ring back on the fill cap of my Davco. Under load it kept fuel flowing fine, but at idle instead of sucking fuel from the tank it would just draw air in from the cap. Somehow I made it 450 miles before it started sucking air into the primary fuel filter and the engine cut out. My local go-to mechanic (who I rarely use anymore) said that's what I get when I use "the cheap guys" to do my oil changes. But they are HALF THE PRICE he charges, twice as fast and available on the road whenever, wherever I am.

Yeah i hear u on that. My local mechanic charges $450.00 for oil change grease job included. In warmer months I do it myself it ends up running me $200.00 bucks. I also grease it up myself. I have lincoln electric grease gun i get it done super fast with my 9 year old helping me.
replyreply
I use Donaldson or fleet guard. I have cut multiple filters apart after use. I like the media in Donaldson filters better. The o ring is different than the fleet guard maybe not as safe as the new design fleet guard. A little care when you put the filter on is in order. I wouldn’t have a lube place install a Donaldson. Most of the guys I the pit don’t give a shi#t how they put filter on.
replyreply
(03-28-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  .... Also Fleetgurd does claim there seal is the best. Does anybody order there filters from the web? If so any quality issues?....

I've been ordering all my filters from a site called partandfilters.com. Seem to have decent deals on genuine Fleetguard filters. I.E.- just ordered 3 oil filters (LF14000NN), 2 fuel filters (FF 5776), and 2 fuel/water sep. (FS 19764). The price was 215.00 to the door.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , amermextrucker , Mattman , Toolguy
(03-28-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Yeah i hear u on that. My local mechanic charges $450.00 for oil change grease job included. In warmer months I do it myself it ends up running me $200.00 bucks. I also grease it up myself. I have lincoln electric grease gun i get it done super fast with my 9 year old helping me.

I've considered doing the PM service myself, but the numbers just don't work out for me. I pay about $300 for the full service. I don't have a cheap supply of oil or filters, I don't know all the various grease points (yes, I could learn if I went that route), I don't have a shop, lift or pit to work in, not even electricity. Plus I'm rarely home when I hit the service interval. The best part however, in my opinion, is that I get an extra set of eyes looking it over, possibly catching something I might have missed (or something I haven't learned enough about yet).

Everything else however I learn about and try to do myself if it's within my ability. That's why I'm here.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.