Cummins ISX 7CEX emits white smoke, smelling coolant, then another day not?
03-29-2020, (Subject: Cummins ISX 7CEX emits white smoke, smelling coolant, then another day not? ) 
RE: Cummins ISX 7CEX emits white smoke, smelling coolant, then another day not?
Check the EGR cooler first, pressurize the coolant system and pull the hose off the back side of the EGR cooler, put a saucer or something similar to catch any leaking coolant while the truck sits overnight under pressure, 20 psi. If it is bad, you will find coolant, and at least have a place to start.

Look for leaks in general too. It will be a good idea to drop the DPF/DOC cans too to inspect, they are more than likely toast if coolant is coming out the exhaust, no matter its origin.

I would start at the EGR cooler and then go from there. No bubbles or pressure build up in the coolant tank is a good sign.

I would also head up to NAPA, if they are open in your area, and get one of their "Block Test Kits", they run around $50, I have used them in the past and they work. Just make sure you have the motor nice and hot before running the test.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cummins ISX 7CEX emits white smoke, smelling coolant, then another day not? - Waterloo - 03-29-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.