Shim for increased Oil Pressure
07-14-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
RE: Shim for increased Oil Pressure
(07-14-2016 )slowpoke Wrote:  I've seen pictures of the dog bone and spring inside of it do I pull spring out of dog bone and place shims in there or do I feed them down the hole?
Yes, pull the spring out of the dogbone and place dime stack inside the opening of the dogbone. Use some petroleum jelly to hold the dime stack together and in place so you reduce the risk of dropping them into the oil pan if you don't move it completely out if the way.

REMEMBER always perform things at your own risk, like Rawze I am so full of $h!t my eyes and hair are brown!!!

(07-14-2016 )Brock Wrote:  So hammer, what is your pressure at operating temp!
I used 7 Canadian dimes and running Castrol Hypuron S/S 10W30 and no gear oil for a true side by side comparison I am running 41psi @ 210* oil & 39psi @ 230* oil full pull, fan engaging e water temps at my downshift rpm of 14-1450. That is up from 36 & 34psi respectively using the same brand and grade of oil.
I'm quite happy happy with the results so far. I believe I will pick up 1 maybe 2 psi when I switch back to the advised Rotella 15W40 and Sta-Lube 80/90.
I am a huge fanboy of Spinner Byoass filters and have always hated that the ISX pressure is too low to run one. I believe I will be putting one one now. From my memory the Spinner lowered the oil pressure about 2 or 3 psi on my Series 60's, so I may add one or two dimes to get that back. For now that is just speculation and I will post results if/when I go that route.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
07-14-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
Have you guys noticed a improvement in engine brake performance after shimming the oil pump? I did this to an 870 and was shocked how much better the engine brake worked and how much faster it came on.
replyreply
07-15-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
thanks for all the info. going to give it a try
replyreply
07-19-2016, (Subject: Shim for increased Oil Pressure ) 
10 dimes is around 1/2"... I seem to remember reading on the old forum that gearhead said you could shim up to 3/4"...... Anyone ever shim that much?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
I wouldn't start that aggressively Brock.
I'm conservative and used 7 Canadian dimes to start. That equated to roughly a 6-7psi increase. I'd hate to see you overdo it and create another problem...
Just my 2psi...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
The pan is off mine right now.. With oil temp st 210 I was seeing 37-38psi at 1500rpm and about 23 at idle. How much shimming would be recommended? Bottom end has never been touched, 1,085,000km.. We may be rolling new bearings in. Curiously the rod bearings look like new but the mains are showing some wear.
replyreply
(07-19-2016 )Camstyn Wrote:  The pan is off mine right now.. With oil temp st 210 I was seeing 37-38psi at 1500rpm and about 23 at idle. How much shimming would be recommended? Bottom end has never been touched, 1,085,000km.. We may be rolling new bearings in.

Well they've been saying 10 dimes which is a half inch shim. hammer went conservative and used 7 dimes.

Incase of confusion. dimes refer to money. 10c dimes and not a shim type.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
./uploads/201607/post_1367_1468956540_7598c59cf3b1acb89da01f6a848e3d96.jpg

I had this saved on my phone. if I remember correctly, it was one of rawzes old posts on this subject.

replyreply
Sorry I should have done some more reading before asking.. Sounds like a 5/16" or 8mm shim should raise my pressure up about 5psi. Will new main bearings typically have much effect on oil psi?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.