New oil pump
04-03-2020, (Subject: New oil pump ) 
RE: New oil pump
according to the pic you show, the smaller of the gear that now has to wear in will face-load (outwards/possibly dance in_out/vibrate) a tiny bit due to the offset in wear on the crank. Likely it will whine a bit like that the rest of its life, trying to ride outwards against the clean (less worn) area. - Maybe not hurt anything as long as the face loading is not too much, but you never know.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT
04-03-2020, (Subject: New oil pump ) 
Wow, thanks guys. Why in the world would Cummins sell that shitty new pump as a replacement for the one I had, knowing that the teeth are not going to match up to the wear marks from the other style...***(not correct)***

Anyhow, I still haven’t decided whether the new oil pump is coming out or not. I had to move on and start working on one of my trailers today. I have already wasted way to much time on this new installment of Cummins ignorance.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are the best.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
04-05-2020, (Subject: New oil pump ) 
Ok so I just can’t decide what to do here. I took a couple of days to try and clear my head and I worked a bit, doing some welding and then replacing a wheel seal on my old trailer. Now I am back to this:
I did a little looking online and it looks like a brand new, old style pump will not be an option. Or at least I can’t find one. I definitely don’t want another new style pump as the teeth would match up wrong because of its wide gears.***(not correct)*** So do I....

1. Leave it alone and deal with the noise? Per the Cummins TSB 200038 it should not hurt the motor. I know the back lash was well within spec and it has a little better pressure then my old pump did.

2. Put my old pump back in? I would lose the noise but be running a 3/4 million mile pump again, which was the whole reason I changed it to begin with.

3.Try an old style reman? They are available but I have always been skeptical of remans especially going inside the motor.

4.Buy a brand new, but old style aftermarket? There are many of these available too, all Chinese knock-offs I am sure, but again I have always tried to stay away from aftermarket engine parts.

So there are my options. None of them good and all except number one will require dropping the pan again and probably a new oil pan gasket, and pick up tube O-ring.

Any thoughts or advise, experiences, etc... will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
I guess it would depend on exactly how bad the noise really is. In my opinion if it sounded really bad/loud I wouldn't be able to stomach it and would have to do something different.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
I've never had any trouble with a recon aluminium type oil pump.
replyreply
Tree: it’s pretty loud, it sound like a high pitch buzz/whine. Gets louder as the oil warms up. You can’t hear it when your driving though, just idling and slowing down to a stop.

Signature: that’s good to know. I might have to go that route. My wife is online now looking up the internal parts for the old style, seeing what’s available. Maybe I can just refurb my old one?

replyreply
i havent had any problems with old style cummins remans either, just to throw that in there
replyreply
Run it!!
If someone asks tell them it a Cummins thing.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
Mattman, It does kind of sound like an old gear driven supercharger!

I took the old pump apart today. I wanted to see if me rebuilding it would be an option. Everything spec-d out fine with the micrometer to the book. I do have some weird wear patterns on the internal drive and idler gears. The wear marks on the teeth move from one side, across the middle, to the other side on each gear? So they must have been slightly moving in and out with each revolution?? Maybe because the drive shaft was not protruding from the gear face .003-.006" like it was supposed to be? That would cause more in and out free play. I'll post some pics.
Anyway, internal parts seem to be available. I don't know yet at what cost or if I could even find all the parts I would need, but I would have to press fit the new drive shaft with the new drive gears, (internal and external) and I cannot find any spec on where on the shaft the internal gear is supposed to ride.

That all has me thinking as Unilevers and Signature suggest, maybe an old style Cummins Reman. Am I correct that the PX suffix is a better quality reman then the RX??

So, if I can find one (a PX reman) I will take it in the ass from Cummins yet again on this new style POS pump $835, another new oil pan gasket $200, another new pick up tube O ring $8, a shim kit $20, and of course whatever they charge my for the reman...

This all makes my brothers old 6NZ look pretty darn good....just say'n

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.