A NON - DEF engine
04-07-2020, (Subject: A NON - DEF engine ) 
A NON - DEF engine
I read an article yesterday and having so many tabs opened I got confused and closed it. I actually found it through multiple links and now not easy to retrace my steps. None-the-less.

The article was about how Cummins would be introducing a NON-DEF engine/aftertreatment in the not so distant future. And as I was reading this I couldn't help but think about RAWZE's site and the incredible knowledge that is inside it. The one thing that Rawze talked to me about (and Rawze correct me if I get this wrong) was how some/many/most de-mandated engines were actually running MORE clean than those still mandated. And for no other reason than proper tuning.

So back to the future. Is Cummins about to introduce an engine that has been "PROPERLY TUNED" and just eliminate the need of DEF and then charge an arm and a leg for this great new invention? Yep sure looks like it to me. It didn't mention anything about the DPF itself, it only focused on the DEF portion.

From what I have read it seems that the EPA is only concerned about emissions/clean air. I've not found anything that talks about the EPA mandating HOW those emissions are obtained just so that they are and it stands to reasons that if so many incredibly talented people on this site who know the realities of what's possible, so do the engineers at Cummins and others manufactures.

I understand that manufactures every year have to introduce something new that justifies a price increase, that I have got to have it option. So let's look way into the future to a day when DEF and DPF are a thing of the past, but in order to get to that new world we must navigate through the endless versions of the latest and greatest generations of the aftertreatment with each version demanding a higher price tag than its previous version until one day we magically appear on the other side where aftertreatment is just an old way of doing business.

BUT...

I also believe that when they do introduce this new world they (the EPA) will "allow" the manufactures to de-mandate the older versions creating a new source of revenue for the dealers. AND if YOUR truck does not have the "proper" documentation that will be required with any de-mandated engine you will pay a big fine if caught, much like today.

I could be 100% wrong as I have been before, but one thing is for sure, I will rarely be surprised by what means companies will go through to create new streams of revenue.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.