CM 871 Fault code 285
04-14-2020, (Subject: CM 871 Fault code 285 ) 
CM 871 Fault code 285
Hi Guys. I need some help on another problem. I have a 2009 Pete 386 CM871 2733 cpl we purchased knowing that it was likely demandated and it was. Because of where we are to properly operate we need to make this emission compliant. So new doc, dpf, found the block plates, did rawzes tune up, turbo was leaking oil had it overhauled (thank god we hadn't put on a new one), found cracks in the ATA,replaced. front cover leaking so we resealed that and while we had it off we put on a new harmonic balancer. Had the ecm recaled and after noticed the check engine light on. Insite shows a fault code 285 a J1939 multiplexing PGN Time out error. In insite it comes back to Cruise control,Service brake switch,Cruise Control Set switch , Resume switch, Idle increment and deincrement switch. I have checked wiring and fuses, cycled each switch while watching in parameters and they are functioning. I read in the forums where the paccar ecu was finiky and disconnected the battery's for 1hr and have not found the problem. Any thoughts Thanks
replyreply
RE: CM 871 Fault code 285
When it was re-flashed, it lost some features and parameters settings (the addresses for the switches) for those contorls - someone screwed up. Was a template made of the Features and Parameters before the reflash?. If so, then restore it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: 2dlb
I just went through something similar because I took my cat out of my 389 and put a 871 in from a prostar. I went to 2 different cummins shops and neither could actually come up with a proper cal file for what my truck should have.

I ended up pulling the file from a fellow forum member so I could have one from a peterbilt with all the switches properly programmed in.

Maybe they put the wrong file in.

Have you hooked up ESA to see if its reading these switches?

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , 2dlb
04-15-2020, (Subject: CM 871 Fault code 285 ) 
(04-14-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  When it was re-flashed, it lost some features and parameters settings (the addresses for the switches) for those contorls - someone screwed up. Was a template made of the Features and Parameters before the reflash?. If so, then restore it.
I did get a work order made i think and went back at it tonight and as near as i can tell everything looks the same with the exception of 1 parameter that exists now that didn't before and that was for Aftertreatment Regen Start Switch. I am guessing that was because the old file was i think a mexican cal as this thing was demandated.
replyreply
04-15-2020, (Subject: CM 871 Fault code 285 ) 
(04-14-2020 )Brock Wrote:  I just went through something similar because I took my cat out of my 389 and put a 871 in from a prostar. I went to 2 different cummins shops and neither could actually come up with a proper cal file for what my truck should have.

I ended up pulling the file from a fellow forum member so I could have one from a peterbilt with all the switches properly programmed in.

Maybe they put the wrong file in.

Have you hooked up ESA to see if its reading these switches?
Hi Brock, In Insite, in parameters i can toggle the switchs and everything responds or registers so i think its working that way
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.