Did my new turbo take a dump?
07-11-2016, (Subject: Did my new turbo take a dump? ) 
Did my new turbo take a dump?
Alright, getting ready to take off for the week... Pop the hood, doing my normal pre trip, oil is good, underside is nice and dry, get up, walk over to the passenger side and see an oily mist on the red rubber boots coming off the CAC, it is on both of them, as there are two in line... I remove the intake from the CAC and from the turbo only to find a pool of oil in the CAC. I have yet to pull off the exhaust side, will do that in a few minutes, already into the beer... PISSED!

And yes, the turbo is warrantied. But, it will be a day or two to get it in to the shop...

The other day, I did hear a whistle coming from the turbo twice, but could not be certain that is where it was coming from... But, just incase, I have been keeping an eye on it, watching my boost, etc.

Now this... Any thoughts?

And I have been under the hood to make certain all of my clamps are tight, etc., since the in frame. I know things can work lose after such major surgery. Trying to keep a close eye on things.
replyreply
RE: Did my new turbo take a dump?
That SUCKS!!!
Warrantee may pay the bill, but it doesn't cover downtime, missed loads, or frustration. Sorry to hear this buddy...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(07-11-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  That SUCKS!!!
Warrantee may pay the bill, but it doesn't cover downtime, missed loads, or frustration. Sorry to hear this buddy...

Rawze contacted me... I think I am ok, this may be normal... Fingers crossed! But damn! I have not gone one solid week without issues, it never ends! I have owned nearly a dozen trucks, and NEVER have I had issues like this. I could add up everything I ever spent on a truck, and this? Jesus H Christ! I could have 3 or 4 nicely running oil burners, paid for, sitting in my driveway, and one in the front yard as a flower planter with a water feature! OY! Crying and LMAO!!!! Thank GOD for BEER! LOL!
replyreply
Cheers buddy, hope it ends well for you...have one for me!
That's why I keep the shop fridge well stocked.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Waterloo, I'm sure Rawze have some pretty good explanation on why it may be normal , but for the light out off me , I can't come up with any explanation how this can be normal . I feel I'm going to learn something new out of it .
replyreply
(07-11-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Waterloo, I'm sure Rawze have some pretty good explanation on why it may be normal , but for the light out off me , I can't come up with any explanation how this can be normal . I feel I'm going to learn something new out of it .

I'll fill you in, about to call Rawze... I just called the travel agent and am working on a load down there... According to Rawze this could be normal, and requiring a slight tweek in the tuning, nothing catastrophic or life ending, just a tweak and normal in most cases. Heavy sigh... ;-)
replyreply
(07-11-2016 )Hammerhead Wrote:  Cheers buddy, hope it ends well for you...have one for me!
That's why I keep the shop fridge well stocked.

Oh how the wife bitches... She ain't got a clue on that fridge and why the beer content takes priority of things like the bills... She has never owned an EPA vehicle... ;-)
replyreply
(07-11-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Waterloo, I'm sure Rawze have some pretty good explanation on why it may be normal , but for the light out off me , I can't come up with any explanation how this can be normal . I feel I'm going to learn something new out of it .

Well, according to Rawze, this may be normal! He gave me a test, see if there was positive pressure on the turbo at the metal 90* pipe into the turbo, and there was. He stated this is normal and break in related... But, he also stated that due to the tune I have on the truck, old @m*m^2, that there is some tweaking needed... So, I called the travel agent and am in the process of heading to GA to visit Rawze... He has saved my bacon a few times, so it is time to let the Master check out my truck! Will keep you all informed, will be buying the beer and steaks... ;-)
replyreply
When an engine is at idle, it draws in a certain amount of air. Ideally, the turbo needs to spin fast enough to keep up with it, and be ahead of it, so that there is always a slightly positive pressure at the intake instead of a vacuum. If it is not spinning fast enough,.. you get a slight vacuum at the face of the turbo, and it will make for turbo slobber.

He did his own custom tuning and it is most likely that the turbo was is not programmed to spin quite fast enough to keep up with the air requirement. What you end up with is a light vacuum at turbo and it makes it very easy to leak oil.

It is easily enough corrected by setting its programming so that there is slight positive pressure all the time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.