vibration damper thoughts
04-19-2020, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
vibration damper thoughts
trying to determine if a new damper is in my near future?

replyreply
RE: vibration damper thoughts
if it has more than 450k miles on it (or equivalent miles) then its due for replacement.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
How does time play into these wearing vs miles?
replyreply
04-20-2020, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
(04-19-2020 )hookliftpete Wrote:  How does time play into these wearing vs miles?

because that is what the manufacturer says (by 500k miles), and that is usually when they start to dry up as well based on experiences.

put a glas of water on top of the engine and run it. -- record it with video on your phone.

replace the damper, then do the same. - You will see what the differences are.

Of course, it is not water your trying to keep quieted down,.. its the entire electrical system, the electronics, and all the other components that are sensitive to excess vibration.

Excess vibration is the killer of many things on a truck. Its best to keep after minimizing it, as it only costs you a lot more not to.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Roysbigtoys , kozakvod , LargeCar , JMBT , Toolguy
It’s time to replace mine for certain.

Question, I read on QuickServe that thing weighs more than 50lbs. Is this a job I can do myself? After removing all bolts does everything just slide off?

And, it talks about pulling 2 bolts and replacing them with guide pins before removing the remainder of the bolts. Do those pins come with the new part or are those purchased separately?
replyreply
(04-20-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  It’s time to replace mine for certain.

Question, I read on QuickServe that thing weighs more than 50lbs. Is this a job I can do myself? After removing all bolts does everything just slide off?

And, it talks about pulling 2 bolts and replacing them with guide pins before removing the remainder of the bolts. Do those pins come with the new part or are those purchased separately?

It's heavy but doable by one man and some hand tools. The guide pins can be easily made by purchasing some long bolt that match the thread pattern of damper bolts and cut the head off of them. It's not necessary to have the guide pins but it helps hold it up and align it while starting the other bolts.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , LargeCar , Toolguy
buy the new one in advance. Paint it. They are unpainted and no warranty if you do not paint it.

You will then know how much it weighs too.

I stripped off all the oils from the surfaces w acetone and painted mine with this stuff...
https://amzn.to/3eFElca ( Corroseal Water-Based Rust Converter Metal Primer )

and then painted it with this stuff ....
https://amzn.to/2XPOFIw ( POR-15 45008 Gloss black Rust Preventive Paint )

damn thing will never rust and por-15 paint is tough as nails.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , Redland1 , Toolguy
(04-20-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  buy the new one in advance. Paint it. They are unpainted and no warranty if you do not paint it.

You will then know how much it weighs too.

I stripped off all the oils from the surfaces w acetone and painted mine with this stuff...
https://amzn.to/3eFElca ( Corroseal Water-Based Rust Converter Metal Primer )

and then painted it with this stuff ....
https://amzn.to/2XPOFIw ( POR-15 45008 Gloss black Rust Preventive Paint )

damn thing will never rust and por-15 paint is tough as nails.

Are there negative issues to buying away from the Cummins for this part? I see there are places selling it considerably less than Cummins but yet they say it is Original OEM. I'm always skeptical. One of those "if it seems to good to be true..." situations.
replyreply
I have heard bad things about aftermarket dampeners. Buy the OEM it’s a bit more but it is important to the motor and will last 500k if you paint it. I painted mine red, then marked all of the timing marks, pin, and TDC with a blue paint marker, then 3 coats of clear. That was 150k miles ago and it still looks brand new! Plus overheads are ALOT easier when you can easily see the timing marks. Also clean up any rust off the crankshaft nose with fine Emory cloth then anti seize it so the next time it won’t fight you coming off. Do not anti seize the bolts though. Use a little blue loctite 242 on them. They can vibrate loose. Or at least they did on mine.(see my previous posts with pics)

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , kozakvod , JimT , LargeCar

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.