vibration damper thoughts
10-26-2021, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
RE: vibration damper thoughts
(10-26-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  The damper arrived last night. Opened up this am to find this a fairly roughly handled ‘new’ part. Looks like it’s been hanging around for the last 5 years at someone’s shop... Not so much worried about the surface rust as I am some of the damage that’s on it from transport through the years. Has some scratches (that could be sanded out) and a couple places where it has definately contacted cement ( maybe when standing it up to get ready to place it on a shelf). I’m sure it will still function as it should. However, I would def be rejecting this if it were placed on front of me at my local Cummins store.

- If I'm understanding correctly, the fluid inside the damper hardens, therefore it becomes ineffective. Cummins maintenance calls for a 500k replacement, but my question is does the fluid harden because of use or does it have a shelf life? This part I just received for example appears to have been on the shelf for nearly 5yrs according to the stock tag. Would that shorten it's effective lifespan even though it hasn't been installed?

Here are some pics. Any thoughts? Already contacted FinditParts and sent them an email with the condition.

THAT IS A USED PART... DID YOU INTEND TO BUY A USED ONE?

There is no telling how many miles are on that thing.. It looks like a WHOLE LOT! .. someone stripped the pain off of a replacement damper right off an engine somewhere, and half-arssed cleaned it up.. then stuck it in a box.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne

Messages In This Thread
RE: vibration damper thoughts - Rawze - 10-26-2021

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.