CAT ET Software (and head problems)
05-03-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
RE: CAT ET Software
It was a new aftermarket head I got from a machine shop here. I’m assuming they’re made offshore ? Came with all the valves and cam bushings installed
replyreply
05-04-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
RE: CAT ET Software
Not sure about cat, but an ISX head that is not 100% certified OEM is not worth throwing in the ocean as a boat anchor, nonetheless can be relied upon to make an actual living with.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
RE: CAT ET Software (and head problems)
(04-26-2020 )tsolson Wrote:  Hi,
i have a 2004 Kenworth with a C15 CAT single turbo. had an overheat issue and caused the head gasket to go. also replaced the head because it was cracked...

Also, with regards to the original problem that caused the head to crack...

-- Over-boosting will cause head and/or head gasket issues.

-- A bad/poorly programmed de-mandate program will cause head and/or head gasket issues.

-- Some A-hole shoving bulls$it injector trim codes into the ecm to try to get more power out of it will cause head and/or head gasket issues.

-- If some a-hole plugged off the IVA valves so that the thing runs high compression all the time will cause head and/or head gasket issues.

Those fuel-sucking CAT engines have a slightly tougher block design than the ISX but they still get heavily abused by everyone who thinks they know a thing or 2 about them. Just something to keep in mind the next time someone is telling you thing about what to do with it. Personally, I would not want to own one. They are just not competitive enough in the dryvan/reefer market or any other trucking market that requires any sort of decent fuel efficiency as part of your profit margin.

Just some thoughts.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(05-03-2020 )tsolson Wrote:  It was a new aftermarket head I got from a machine shop here. I’m assuming they’re made offshore ? Came with all the valves and cam bushings installed

I would bet a lot of money on that head being junk right out of the box.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
05-06-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
took the head to a machine shop, they vacuum tested it, filled the head with solvent overnight, took the valves out to check the guides, and stems. everything in spec, no burnt valves, and everything sealing up perfectly they said. So i'm back to square one.
replyreply
You probably should have done a few tests while the head was still bolted to the block. If I were you I would buy a new head from Cat. Even though the machine shop claims it's ok, I wouldn't put that aftermarket head back on.

replyreply
(05-06-2020 )tsolson Wrote:  took the head to a machine shop, they vacuum tested it, filled the head with solvent overnight, took the valves out to check the guides, and stems. everything in spec, no burnt valves, and everything sealing up perfectly they said. So i'm back to square one.

Your previous post, you said you had massive leaks ... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid53376

Had you backed off on all the rockers so that the valves were all closed?

You could have done the intake valve test again with head on its side yourself, simply by installing the intake manifold, an orange boot, and a CAC test plug, and pressuring it to 30psi, check to see where that massive leak is at. You don't need a shop that will likely just disagree with you for testing it w head off it to find the actual issues.

replyreply
05-07-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
I did have all the rockers loose, and was loosing air, so that is why i pulled the head. I fully expected to see a burnt valve or something obvious, but there wasn't. I pressurized the head again after i took it off, and the leak wasn't nearly as bad. It would hold at 25 PSI. I just took the head to the machine shop where i bought it, to see if there was something i was missing.

And maybe they're BS'ing me too!!! I'm going to go pick it up and check it out again.
replyreply
05-07-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
Yeah man if you bought it from them they probably aren't going to give you the most honest answer about its quality or condition in this circumstance. It shouldn't be that hard to determine if it's good or bad.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.