isx15 with DPF delete
05-11-2020, (Subject: isx15 with DPF delete ) 
isx15 with DPF delete
I am looking to purchase a local truck, 2008 peterbilt 388 with a cummins isx15. Previous owner deleted the DPF (exhaust still runs thru to look like original but no DPF) but did not touch the EGR. EGR is still functional. Any issues that I would need to be aware of? No check engine light, owner state he gets about 5-6mpg running 72, pulling a conestoga. He did clean EGR system a couple years ago, replaced sensors. Also a new longblock was done about year and a half ago.

Thanks.
replyreply
RE: isx15 with DPF delete
this means that someone put a aussie file in the engine and you should run away.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: djwendt
You should assume your problems with it may actually be much bigger ... like the engine being abused by bad delete programming. This is 90% the case with all deleted trucks, odds are not in your favor there. Assume it likely will need an in-frame in its very near future.

If you already purchased it ... assume the delete programming is extremely harmful to the engine. Educate yourself on the subject as a whole ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid13255

2008 sounds like a CM871 engine. - Good news is that you can fix the bad programming yourself with a bit of effort and an inline-5 or inline-6 data-link adapter off ebay + old windows-7 laptop/PC from a used computer store. All the things/software needed are on the internet for free to get ti right if a person knows where to look.

in any event, you should expect to invest in a data-link adapter, as doing much of anything with owning an ISX involves being able to see trouble codes, perform tests, and service on it. Otherwise you will just be repeatedly raped by every shop you take it to.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
You also did not mention the type of freight you plan to push around with that thing. Its specs are very important to be matched to the freight you are hauling, otherwise profitability can suffer greatly.

I.E.> For me to even consider looking at a truck that has a well established high chance of engine and truck abuse in its past, and a recon engine of unknown quality at this point, combined with harmful ecm programming srtill likely in it, ... those specs had better be spot on, and there should be some serious reason to take that kind of risk on the purchase.

Lastly,.. 72 mph is too fast for a square nose truck in most freight markets. - No real kind of profit if your going to do nothing but piss against the wind at high speeds with a non-aero truck all day long at those kinds of speeds. Something else to heavily consider.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: djwendt
(05-11-2020 )Unilevers Wrote:  this means that someone put a aussie file in the engine and you should run away.
Hi Uni/Rawze,
I'm assuming that this is referring to the prospective buyer being not real sure of what he's actually looking at purchasing. I have a new X15 over in OZ, and by new 700hrs & 38 000 klm,
Should I be worried?
replyreply
05-12-2020, (Subject: isx15 with DPF delete ) 
(05-11-2020 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  
(05-11-2020 )Unilevers Wrote:  this means that someone put a aussie file in the engine and you should run away.
Hi Uni/Rawze,
I'm assuming that this is referring to the prospective buyer being not real sure of what he's actually looking at purchasing. I have a new X15 over in OZ, and by new 700hrs & 38 000 klm,
Should I be worried?

probably not, just 99% of people out there do not know how to leave the egr on and the rest shut off in north america. The aussie files have egr but no after-treatment(in this engine year) - so i see a ton of people blasting those files in north american trucks and running like that. Obviously this doesn't work as a north american cm871 is alot different than a Australian cm871.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Aussie Steve
(05-12-2020 )Unilevers Wrote:  
(05-11-2020 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  
Hi Uni/Rawze,
Should I be worried?

probably not, just 99% of people out there do not know how to leave the egr on and the rest shut off in north america. The aussie files have egr but no after-treatment(in this engine year) - so i see a ton of people blasting those files in north american trucks and running like that. Obviously this doesn't work as a north american cm871 is alot different than a Australian cm871.
Yeah I've just come across a truck 100 klm from anywhere with a ventilated CM871 block (not my truck). One of the local deletes that aren't so good. The fellow that does them is pretty loose, just add more fuel, advance and boost. As we say over here "She'll be right" :s Felt a bit sorry for him
replyreply
(05-12-2020 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  ... add more fuel, advance and boost ...

As soon as you hear those words, someone is clearly doing the wrong thing.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.