Getting ready to change doser at the turbo
05-16-2020, (Subject: Getting ready to change doser at the turbo ) 
Getting ready to change doser at the turbo
I thank you all for taking time to help each other here! I've been reading posts off and on for the last year and have just registered today. I've learned a lot so far.

A year ago I bought a 2013 Kenworth T-660. It has a 485 CM2250 in it. While waiting for license plates I changed all the sensors suggested here and my list of things to check and change keeps growing.

I'm getting ready to change the doser out at the turbo. I bought new fuel and water lines also because they have rust scale on them. I also bought a new thermostat to change since I'm gonna have to drain the coolant.

My question to you all is, since the coolant will be drained, what else would you check? Another question is: Can the nox sensor be cleaned? Currently the motor has about 410,000 miles on it.

I'll continue to look around the topics more, forgive me if these questions have already been answered someplace else. Thank You!
replyreply
RE: Getting ready to change doser at the turbo
Overview of NOx sensors...

The NOx sensors cannot be cleaned very well. They typically only read correctly for about 250k miles or so (or 5,000 hours), then the finally heat gets to them. Sometimes they last longer, but don't expect them to be accurate so much. They are not cheap to replace, so if they have more than 250k miles on them, at fist sign of a NOx sensor reading wrong, they need to be replaced.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
* Also want to ensure Overhead valves are in proper adjustment and that the cam is good.

* Also want to replace the guts (tappets, plungers, rollers) in the fuel pump to prevent that 'fuel pump of total engine destruction' problem they are known for.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Meanwhile
How’s your oil pressure when going down the road? Boosting oil pump pressure is pretty easy using the dime method as spacers. Cost me 70 cents as I was able to reuse the pan gasket
Oil bypass filter is another great and well respected add on. Amsoil makes a nice filter head and filter. Hoses are easily made to your needs at a hose supplier.
Are you still running the mandate?
How is the def injector? Antifreeze runs thru it. Maybe a check and clean just for the pleasure of knowing while the antifreeze is drained. There is an isolater that should be replaced as it will probably be compromised when removing.
Being a 2013, how is the plastic coolant Overflow tank, they do start failing about this time if original.
Rawze is right on as usual, the fuel pump is no joke, at The very minimum verify that the Ceramic plungers have been changed, trust no one, verify yourself.
Air filter on top of engine is around $125, nice and clean eliminates possible complications due to it being restricted
replyreply
Thanks for your replies!

I'm pretty sure this truck sat for more than a year, everything worked and looked fine until I hooked to a trailer with it and found no right turn signal on the trailer. Long story short, it turned out to be a bad chassis node, a plug and a bad wire in the harness. There was evidence under the dash that someone had been in there checking the brains, there were missing screws and such. I don't believe they found the problems and decided to sell it off. The sensors That I replaced looked ok, no heavy build up.

I believe it was August of last year, I had the overhead done. I asked the guy who did it how that cams looked and was told they're good, he didn't see any issues with them. At the same time the DEF doser and exhaust pipe it's mounted to were replaced. The pipe was cracked and the doser was leaking a little.

The fuel pump head doesn't have red paint on it, possibly swapped out already? I'll get a gasket and check out the plungers and tappets soon. I wanted to have those done anyway for piece of mind. I'm assuming everything else is original since it has red paint on it. The cast pipe next to the turbo, that the fuel doser mounts to has a lot of scale on it. It's bad enough that I'm wondering how much will come off when I take it apart. I have another one of them just in case. I guess I'll order the NOX sensor Monday, I'm guessing that's probably the original one. I took the advice of putting the gear oil in, at normal temp oil pressure sits about 35 pounds. The plastic coolant tank looks fairly new and the air filter looked new when I bought it. I check the crankcase filter every oil change and chance oil at 15,000. I'm not sure if I'm running the mandate or not, I'll have to look into that, how can I find out? A couple shops have told me that unless they did previous work to the truck there's no records of what's been done. I'll have to look into the oil bypass also.
replyreply
mandated means emissions are still intact DOC/DPF/SCR items

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
05-17-2020, (Subject: Getting ready to change doser at the turbo ) 
And that crankcase filter, they make one that is no maintenance, around $70 -$120 at the dealer, If you do not have one, I would get one. The new crank case "filter" does not have the white filter element in it, it is just two pieces of plastic sandwiched together with a little breather button. install and forget about it.

Oh, your power steering fluid, would be a good time to replace the power steering filter, it is located inside the power steering fluid reservoir, directly in the fluid, it screws in/out, looks like a small oil filter.

Try FleetPride for both filters, much cheaper than the dealerships, that is if you have one in your area. You would be surprised at the parts you can get there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Meanwhile , Paccardude
Mandated, I should've known that but it just didn't register.

Power steering filter, I didn't know about that one so it's on my list now too. I dont have a Fleetpride close to me but found a filter on Amazon for about $20. I'll look for that crankcase filter also. Thanks!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(05-17-2020 )Meanwhile Wrote:  ...I'll look for that crankcase filter also. Thanks!

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...376#pid376

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.