low rates, No profit
05-28-2020, (Subject: low rates, No profit ) 
RE: low rates, No profit
like hhow55 said, i've been doing really good flatbed in central PA. Good enough to deadhead 170 miles from my house in CT just to get a load going back to new england. rinse and repeat. also been pulling high 7's for mpg with shorter hauls, allowing me to fuel up only once or twice some weeks. freight volumes are low, so the situation isn't great, but this routine has allowed me to meet my income goals despite the economic situation and it's allowed me plenty of home time too.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
I ended up parking my truck june will be going on 3 months for me...

So here are my weekly and monthly expenses.

Weekly is $750 and Monthly $565. Those expenses are before fuel, with fuel im around $800-$1300 with 1800-2500+ miles. tell me if this to high for you guys?

The rates sucked but not as much as the fact not having enough loads..... the last day before i decided to park my truck was when i went to IN/KY boarder and only had 50 loads the entire day. the next day was worse only had 20 some loads in the area took what i could get to close enough chicago. dropped my trl and bobtailed home. the day i dropped my trl at the yard their was less then 100 loads around chicago... wtf... l i work the spot market, i enjoy the highs and lows. but this is to low.... wayyyyy to low.

yesterday i check on DAT to see how the rates were and amount of freight... it look great 300+ loads around stl. the rates are better then they were 2 months ago.

in the down time " mini unpaid vacation". redone my entire AC system and replaced my ac compressor since it went out on me... also fixed my bunk heat/a.c! :D. replaced the grill on my truck since it busted more up then a crack head. shined up my rims, replaced all of the my drive tires with some decent chinese made ones.... did that at the worse possible time but hey if not now then when?. tore apart the inside of the sleeper cab and tracked down my wires so i can install a inverter, microwave and etc... eating ramen noddles and canned food really started to make me sick for one reason or another. cleaned up my battery terminals and cables only to find out the batteries went dead. fml. got some from trp. by the end of all of this went flat broke but at least the truck is ready to go. hopefully when i get back to work this coming week or two, this is going to pay of with virtually no downtime for the time being.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
from those numbers..

$750/1800 = $0.41/mile
$565/7200 = $.08/mile
Maint. & deductible costs. = ~$0.14/mile (assuming your conservative but not jumping over dollars to save dimes)
fuel = $0.45/mile
================
minimum gross to break even = $1.52/mile.
Minimum gross to make a half-decent paycheck = ~$2.26/mile

Ballpark~ish any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Evotrucker
holy shi#t lol :P, yeah thats almost dead on with my numbers.

by chance rawze, did you hack my computer? LOL! j.k.

well, last year for 2019 my maint was pretty hefty..... I'm pretty on top of the maint department, found couple of good volvo mechanics so my truck hasn't seen the inside of the garage of volvo dealership, hoping to keep it that way and knock on wood.

with this current company, i can change the liability for my truck since i got it at 25k. i might as well change it to 16k for what i got it. looking for something else with steady pay/freight in the midwest here.

(05-28-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  from those numbers..

$750/1800 = $0.41/mile
$565/7200 = $.08/mile
Maint. & deductible costs. = ~$0.14/mile (assuming your conservative but not jumping over dollars to save dimes)
fuel = $0.45/mile
================
minimum gross to break even = $1.52/mile.
Minimum gross to make a half-decent paycheck = ~$2.26/mile

Ballpark~ish any ways.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
Yup, I parked my truck today.
I just can't see working for break even. The rates and load availability have just gone to below what is worth me firing the truck off.

But the time is not getting wasted. I dropped the trailer at the shop to have the axles pulled out from under the trailer and fully gone over and reversing the slider to be finally florida and Connecticut legal. I've been outlawing it for 5 years with this wagon in those states. I also found my next truck. A 2010 KW T660 with 3:55 rears and a 13 speed. Its got 580k original miles. Im picking it up tomorrow and gonna spend the down time demandating and going over it, running overhead and freshening the engine and sensors up, and prepping it for its new life in open air fright. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have the new truck up and running, a freshly renewed trailer and cross my fingers.... an economy that will support the down time and the money spent on getting my business in great physical shape.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , JimT , hookliftpete , schISM
05-29-2020, (Subject: low rates, No profit ) 
lol this time around is worse then when the bankers screwed up the entire economy.....

I called the dispatch department to see how its looking and one guy just laughed but said its better then when i took my break, so i guess its better then how it was 2 half months ago.

i see how rawze can bank running for so low but with my current expenses id be working for free. so at this point im ether going to look for another company with dedicated routes at 1.50-1.80 a mile with no expenses or maintenance as the ones i got right now. i hope that truck your getting chambers is going to be a good one! wish you the best bud!.

(05-28-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Yup, I parked my truck today.
I just can't see working for break even. The rates and load availability have just gone to below what is worth me firing the truck off.

But the time is not getting wasted. I dropped the trailer at the shop to have the axles pulled out from under the trailer and fully gone over and reversing the slider to be finally florida and Connecticut legal. I've been outlawing it for 5 years with this wagon in those states. I also found my next truck. A 2010 KW T660 with 3:55 rears and a 13 speed. Its got 580k original miles. Im picking it up tomorrow and gonna spend the down time demandating and going over it, running overhead and freshening the engine and sensors up, and prepping it for its new life in open air fright. Hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have the new truck up and running, a freshly renewed trailer and cross my fingers.... an economy that will support the down time and the money spent on getting my business in great physical shape.

replyreply
Midwest freight still ok. Ok enough that tomorrow if in-site and my eyeballs and ears say that it's good. I'm going to write a 35k check for a 2016/t680/242 wb/600k miles/13sp/3.36s/ diamond vit interior/new carrier Apu/ 2 door headache rack. has been well maintained oil changes every 10k has a new head and water hoses due to cracked inj cup. Super clean inside and out.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Explosia , snailexpress
(05-29-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Midwest freight still ok. Ok enough that tomorrow if in-site and my eyeballs and ears say that it's good. I'm going to write a 35k check for a 2016/t680/242 wb/600k miles/13sp/3.36s/ diamond vit interior/new carrier Apu/ 2 door headache rack. has been well maintained oil changes every 10k has a new head and water hoses due to cracked inj cup. Super clean inside and out.

Sounds like a good deal lonestar, you’ll have to change your user name now lol. T680’s value have sunk like the titanic the past few months. Now is the time to buy used, and still several trucks I had my eye on have been scooped up. Crazy how rates this low, and they’re still selling trucks. I can’t even get a good deal on a new one, I was told wait till the fall and paccar might have some incentives.

I found what I want at an auction and hopefully that will work out, or it’s back to square one.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(05-29-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Midwest freight still ok. Ok enough that tomorrow if in-site and my eyeballs and ears say that it's good. I'm going to write a 35k check for a 2016/t680/242 wb/600k miles/13sp/3.36s/ diamond vit interior/new carrier Apu/ 2 door headache rack. has been well maintained oil changes every 10k has a new head and water hoses due to cracked inj cup. Super clean inside and out.

that new head doesn't make you nervous?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.