Ongoing issues
05-21-2020, (Subject: Ongoing issues ) 
Ongoing issues
I have a 2011 peterbilt 387 deleted ISX with an automatic. Never owned a Cummins or an automatic before this truck.

VIN BD125923

I have had nothin but problems with the truck. Purchased truck with 550,000 miles. Truck currently has 699,000 miles.

It’s eaten 4 turbos. Thankfully last 3 were under warranty but that warranty is now out.
It’s eaten 2 injectors.
Rebuilt motor and 35,000 miles later it dropped a valve, killed an injector, cracked a sleeve, damaged piston, etc
Replaced lift pump and high pressure fuel pump.
Replaced clutch.

Truck has always had an issue that you can be under full boost when suddenly it falls flat on its face. You have to downshift the truck and hope it picks back up, or keep dropping speed until you feel it kick back in.

I’ve replaced all the sensors for the egr maintenance found on this site, crankcase filter etc.

Truck dirties the oil FAST. I change the oil at 10,000-12,000 miles and its jet black. Watching the oil after rebuild and the oil changes it’s jet black within 5,000 miles. I’ve had people look at programming And they say the programming is fine but unsure how familiar they are with the motors or the deletes.

I’m at the end of the rope mentally and financially with this truck. I have a 2 year old daughter and can’t keep digging deeper.
replyreply
RE: Ongoing issues
You have a bad delete, bank on it. Get an Inline reader and the Insite software and pull the file and send to Rawze for inspection. Then buy some tools, and stay away from the shops, as it sounds like they are about to suck your wallet dry. You are setting records in turbo replacements! Have they installed an EGR Cooler yet?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , PenderD
Waterloo he needs CT in order to pull that file. Not saying he doesn’t need insite but to pull the ecm file he’ll need that other software too.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , PenderD
He still needs to have the file looked at, odds are it is garbage and these dealers are stealing him blind. Maybe the dealer can help him out, or the shop he is going to, and pull the file and get it on a thumb drive for him to get to Rawze. I bet his cans are not even hollowed out, creating all of that heat that is eating those turbos. I can only imagine the in frame if he is using the same shop to do these repairs. They should have caught that bad tune right off the bat. He needs to pull the cans and see if they are even cored out. Like I said, I bet they are not.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , PenderD
AGREE. In order to eat turbo's the way his truck is eating them it's gotta be a bad delete.

After I bought my latest truck and started reading about all the bad deletes it just blows my mind. Truck after truck after truck, an endless merry-go-round of them.

Hope he can get a copy of the file pulled.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , PenderD
It is criminal, I wish I had a shop to do the work in, and the know how to do a job like Rawze and or Mr Hag, a guy could make a good living fixing this mess. I may call Rawze... Master, yes slug hopper... LOL!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
100% with you. I have access to a shop here in Dallas, but and the BIG BUT...not the knowledge to actually do the job. So I'm quite happy with the crumbs the experts on this forum throw me to keep my big red beast happy and running. LOL
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(05-21-2020 )PenderD Wrote:  I have a 2011 peterbilt 387 deleted ISX with an automatic. Never owned a Cummins or an automatic before this truck.

VIN BD125923

I have had nothin but problems with the truck. Purchased truck with 550,000 miles. Truck currently has 699,000 miles.

It’s eaten 4 turbos. Thankfully last 3 were under warranty but that warranty is now out.
It’s eaten 2 injectors.
Rebuilt motor and 35,000 miles later it dropped a valve, killed an injector, cracked a sleeve, damaged piston, etc
Replaced lift pump and high pressure fuel pump.
Replaced clutch.

Truck has always had an issue that you can be under full boost when suddenly it falls flat on its face. You have to downshift the truck and hope it picks back up, or keep dropping speed until you feel it kick back in.

I’ve replaced all the sensors for the egr maintenance found on this site, crankcase filter etc.

Truck dirties the oil FAST. I change the oil at 10,000-12,000 miles and its jet black. Watching the oil after rebuild and the oil changes it’s jet black within 5,000 miles. I’ve had people look at programming And they say the programming is fine but unsure how familiar they are with the motors or the deletes.

I’m at the end of the rope mentally and financially with this truck. I have a 2 year old daughter and can’t keep digging deeper.

I will start by saying that you should not blame the equipment, not one damn bit.

your problems are exactly the same as about a hundred other people a year around here. -- bad delete, bad people who are completely clueless on how these engiens work, bad shops doing bad things, and blind guessing and everything else. -- you are on that merry-go-round of idiots with computers and idiots with wrenches.

your post screams at everyone here who has been down those same roads ... the same old attage ,.. and the kicker is that you had it inframed... likely half-arssed!,. and your problems are not likely nearly over if it was half-arssed, and especially having bad programming + other issues that are so bad that it eats turbo's up like candy,.. that turbo is not the only component suffering, so are the insides of that engine and it its destined to need to be torn down and inframed again very soon after such blatant abuse that it seems no one so far has even begun to address head on properly and then solve.

* Get the program pulled/copied out of that ecm and a e-mail it to me for review. I will tell you exactly what is in it, good, bad, and/or ugly... AND if it is actually a major contributor of your issues or not. - That is your first step.

* While your at it, you also need to pull the exhaust system apart and inspect all 3 of the exhaust cans to make sure ALL of the element material is gone from inside ALL 3 of the exhaust cans (DOC, DPF, and SCR). Also inspect the decomp tube for blockage. it is common for it to become blocked up of someone did a half-arssed job on the exhaust system. Should be nothing but the metal screens left. Not a bunch of small holes in the filters or other bulls$it. - 90+% of all delete shops out there also do not bother to properly hollow out the SCR canister because you have to cut it open with a torch. it is a lot of work to do that one correctly and most of them are beyond lazy. Anything in the exhaust that can reflect or trap heat will kill turbos repeatedly when not done properly. it is not "Air" your trying to let out, but HEAT!.

about the turbo: Even with a de-mandated(deleted) engine, if the de-mandate was actually done correctly, that factory VG turbo usually lasts easily, a good 600-700k miles before showing signs of it wearing out.

* get a boost gauge installed on that thing ASAP if it does not have one so you can monitor your boost levels. it also can be used later on to help you learn better driving habbits and save fuel. Install a pyro gauge too. - Aftermarket gauges work well. Glow-Shift or Max-tow boost and pyro gauges are fairly popular around here.

The only question now is -- are you going to take the proper steps to un-do your situation and reverse all the bad things that have been done... and hope like hell that recent inframe was not done half-arssed (more than 60% odds against you on that one), or not too much damage into the engine from all the garbage has not set back in yet in the mean time.

How much you want to bet that thing would have never had any of those issues if I owned it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , Waterloo , PenderD
here are just some examples of the crap we see on here way too often that came up on a quick search ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid22227
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid27223
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid22297
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid35889
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid37590
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid46124
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...1#pid52431

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PenderD

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.