What's the proper way to use the jake brake
05-31-2020, (Subject: What's the proper way to use the jake brake ) 
RE: What's the proper way to use the jake brake
I can say I've used 0.4 second delay for 500,000 miles with zero problems. I can't stand having the jake bark between shifts. I've found the jakes set 0.2 and shorter allow that to happen. I don't let the boost go above 28 maybe 29 psi or over 1800 rpm while jaking and I absolutely don't use them until the engine is up to full operating temp. I also don't ever pull a hill at more than 3/4 throttle and I strive for no more than 1/2 and keep the rpm's above 1400. Thats for fuel mileage and also to keep the heat from building on the engine. I found that the jakes are damn near useless under 1300.

A full second delay would drive me nuts let alone the 30 seconds delay Rawze recommends. Thats a half mile of travel at 60 mph before the jakes kick in. That kind of delay in the Appalachians would have the service brakes smoking in no time. I use my jakes to slow the truck over the brakes always. Unless I'm on really icy roads.

I've noticed all the trucks I've hooked insite to have had anywhere from 0.3 to 0.8 second deley set and that's fleet calibrations and a few O/O's that never messed with the factory settings.

Wouldn't the delay in the jakes not even be a thing to consider? At 1800 rpms a full 1 second delay would mean the engine completed 30 full rotations. Shouldn't that be more than enough time for the engine to settle if there is that much weakness in the valve springs and valve/rocker clearances? I would think that a properly adjusted overhead and a well engineered engine would never have a problem with a valve hanging long enough to contact the piston. I can see the case for the sudden freezing cold air intake cracking a liner. But thats a simple solution of just keeping your jakes off at the crest of the hill and then manually turning the switch on after an appropriate delay.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Roysbigtoys

Messages In This Thread
RE: What's the proper way to use the jake brake - Chamberpains - 05-31-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.