2011 Prostar with CM871
06-01-2020, (Subject: 2011 Prostar with CM871 ) 
2011 Prostar with CM871
When I turn the key to start the trk I hear a click coming from the fuse box but the engine does not crank. The batteries are fully charged. If I keep trying eventually it will crank, very strange, just started happening. Has anyone experience this? Could this be a sign that my starter is going bad? Could it be a bad ignition relay?
replyreply
RE: 2011 Prostar with CM871
Possible Starter relay failing? (if its setup like the Cascadia)... watch your voltage when you hear the click with no start --- does it drop ?

- I replaced my starter a few weeks back because it had been weak for awhile and drawing a load of amperage while cranking. Before it was replaced, it would def click a few times on many of the attempted start cycles before actually rolling over. That starter had about 440k miles of starts, so needless to say, it's earned its keep lol.

Whats the age of the starter? New or reman? Check how far the starter pulls down the voltage while cranking. That's a good way to see if it's getting weak.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo
(06-01-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  Possible Starter relay failing? (if its setup like the Cascadia)... watch your voltage when you hear the click with no start --- does it drop ?

- I replaced my starter a few weeks back because it had been weak for awhile and drawing a load of amperage while cranking. Before it was replaced, it would def click a few times on many of the attempted start cycles before actually rolling over. That starter had about 440k miles of starts, so needless to say, it's earned its keep lol.

Whats the age of the starter? New or reman? Check how far the starter pulls down the voltage while cranking. That's a good way to see if it's getting weak.

The starter is probably oem, it's been on there since I bought the trk 5 yrs ago, so yeah maybe is time to replace it. So is that clicking coming from the fuse box when i turn the key normal?
replyreply
When mine started clicking, it failed shortly afterward.[/i]

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
(06-01-2020 )hhow55 Wrote:  When mine started clicking, it failed shortly afterward.[/i]

Did your starter fail or the relays in the fuse box?
replyreply
06-02-2020, (Subject: 2011 Prostar with CM871 ) 
(06-01-2020 )rapidisimo Wrote:  
(06-01-2020 )hhow55 Wrote:  When mine started clicking, it failed shortly afterward.[/i]

Did your starter fail or the relays in the fuse box?

The Starter.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Waterloo brought up on his prostar, while he was doing his overhaul in Rawze driveway i believe, that he found his main starter cables from the batteries to the starter were shot. Something about a large section of cable was bare and corroded. Maybe this is something you might want to look in to also so.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , rapidisimo , Rawze
Yep, the factory battery cables on my ProStar were missing large portions of the actual jacket that protects the copper cable. All of my cable from the battery box was green, and shot, surprised the truck did not catch fire. The main power to my starter was missing 10 inches of that jacket, that came from the factory like that. I replaced over 100 feet of that stuff... Not fun, but it fixed many of my electrical issues.

As far as starters, I bought mine at Fleet Pride, bought the Mitsubishi high torque unit, a new one, not a reman, at the time it was much cheaper than the OEM starter the dealer was selling. I believe it was less than $200, I want to say around around $163? Call around, more than likely that starter of yours is on its last leg, they do not last forever, and five years is more than a few starts. I would replace just for the peace of mine.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rapidisimo , Rawze
My starter was doing the same thing, and Rawze diagnosis it. I fix replace the starter in his driveway, and new electric lines back to the batteries. No problems since.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.