2012 MX-13 EGR CLEANING
06-07-2020, (Subject: 2012 MX-13 EGR CLEANING ) 
2012 MX-13 EGR CLEANING
I own a 2012 455 hp MX-13. This motor is one of the last first generation series to come off the assembly line. This motor is in a 2013 587 Peterbilt. I have a 13 speed Eaton Fuller transmission with 3:42 differentials. I have viewed several of Rawze's videos on EGR cleaning but all of them are for Cummins ISX motors. I have taken sensors off the truck and cleaned them with a toothbrush and compressed air. I recently had to have the EGR valve replaced and want to do my best to protect the valve's ability to function. Because there is an oil line connected to this EGR valve I am uncertain if I should make any attempt at removing it to clean it. If anyone on here owns or works on this motor and can offer me any advice on how to properly maintain this EGR valve I would be grateful.
replyreply
RE: 2012 MX-13 EGR CLEANING
The sensors need to be replaced yearly, at least that is how often I would replace them. You are wasting your time cleaning or brushing them off. And only use OEM sensors, stay away from the cheap Chinesium crap, as you will pay for it in the end.

Clean the soot out at the same time and keep the cans fresh and operational, remove and bake at 250,000 miles, replace after that with new ones. And do not forget your fuel doser.

The SCR system is where everyone screws up, that system too has to be serviced. I would say yearly on any sensors, and there is filtration on some systems, that should also be completed yearly, along with inspecting the lines and what not for leaks and cracks. And do not forget the Urea loser, there is one under your cab somewhere, they need to be replaced every two years or so, if not sooner depending upon mileage. That urea is nasty and can cause a lot of damage if not maintained. The NOX sensors too...

Do as much of the work you can, as the dealer and these shops will rape you. Maintaining these emission systems is not cheap, figure at least $3000 to $10,000 a year. Or more if the system is neglected, $20,000+ is not out of the ordinary if a dealer does the work. And odds are, they will not fix the issues.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
RE: 2012 MX-13 EGR CLEANING
Copy replacing the sensors yearly, baking the cans at 250k and also replacing the fuel doser, urea doser and proper SCR system maintenance. I am trying to establish a routine for the maintenance of this rig. I just need to learn how and what to do. I've already replaced several parts on this rig, done a couple PM's myself. I'm getting familiar with this truck. Having a blog like this makes it much easier. I will fend off the stealerships whenever possible. Thank you once again Waterloo.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.