2012 MX-13 NOX SENSORS
06-07-2020, (Subject: 2012 MX-13 NOX SENSORS ) 
2012 MX-13 NOX SENSORS
I own a 2013 587 Peterbilt with a 2012 455hp MX-13. This is one of the last first generation series MX-13 motors to come off the assembly line. I was needing to know if the NOX sensors on this motor should be replaced annually. I have driven the truck 161,000 miles since I purchased it 19 months ago and I have never replaced the NOX sensors. I was also curious if the NOX sensors life span and ability to function well can be maintained by taking them out and cleaning them periodically. Any one owing or working on this motor that can offer me some advice would be appreciated.
replyreply
RE: 2012 MX-13 NOX SENSORS
I believe they should be replaced every 250,000 miles or there about if memory serves me right. If you have the money, it is something I personally would do, just for peace of mind. Those sensors are where the fun begins, healthy sensors, healthy motor. Might want to bake the cans too, do it all at once and keep records. SCR system, there are regular service intervals on that system too. Do as much of the work as you possibly can, the dealers and shops will rape you financially. I would not use aftermarket parts either, shop around for the best pricing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(06-07-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I believe they should be replaced every 250,000 miles or there about if memory serves me right. If you have the money, it is something I personally would do, just for peace of mind. Those sensors are where the fun begins, healthy sensors, healthy motor. Might want to bake the cans too, do it all at once and keep records. SCR system, there are regular service intervals on that system too. Do as much of the work as you possibly can, the dealers and shops will rape you financially. I would not use aftermarket parts either, shop around for the best pricing.
Definitely agree that the dealerships will rape you. I had the cans baked about 4 months ago. I actually took the DOC and DPF down myself after having the truck about 6 months and power washed them and replaced the sensors on the DOC and DPF myself then had them baked later. That was some work. I will definitely buy stock NOX sensors and put them on. I know three different sites I have gotten some reasonable prices from in the past. My 22mm-7/8" NOX sensor socket came in from mail two days ago. I will look into the SCR maintenance interval and keep good records. Thank you for your response.

One more thought: I heard another driver say one time that all OEM manufactured part numbers can be looked up for all parts on any rig. He mentioned where to go to find that list of part numbers for any rig but for the life of me I cannot recall where he said to go. It would be much easier to get a discount for the parts if I knew how to access this list. Do you happen to know where I can get this information without prying it out of a sales parts rep at a dealer? Thanks for your help Waterloo.
replyreply
You may as well go buy some new cans, power washing them is not how they are to be cleaned, no matter what the idiots on the internet say. The filtering depends upon the precocious metals in the cans, water weakens and washes that vital ingredient right out, defeating the purpose of the filtering. We have been through this a thousand times here on the site...

As far as less expensive parts, get the OEM part number and call around if you want genuine OEM parts, the dealers will deal with you, play one against the other for your business. They have room to play, as the mark up is ridiculous.

Myself, for many run of the mill parts, and fluids, I use FleetPride. Set up a cash account under your business name and you get a few bucks off, sometimes quite a bit. I have several FleetPride stores in my area, they are nationwide, and they have saved me thousands of dollars over the years.

There are many parts that all manufacturers use that are interchangeable. Critical items like sensors, radiators, turbos, CAC's, should be replaced with OEM. Stuff like air valves, actuators, brakes, etc, they are all pretty generic and normally just as good, if not better than the overpriced parts you will find at the dealer.

AC parts, I use these guys, hard to beat their pricing, and the product in many cases is the same part you will find at the dealer for triple the price. http://www.truckersac.com

Hope this helps, and no more power washing the cans!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , RustyWood , Pd6cas2
Well that was painful to read but I am glad you told me. I won't do the can washing again. I will replace them. They are overdue anyhow. I have mentioned this DPF and DOC pressure washing venture to several mechanics and no one ever mentioned anything to me about precocious metals in the filters being weakened by water and defeating the purpose of the filters. So glad you passed this along to me. Copy the Fleet Pride account set up for their nation wide stores for run of the mill parts. Thank you. Using OEM for vital parts and after market for basic parts makes sense. Also appreciate the http://www.truckersac.com link. This helped a ton. Thank you for taking the time to type out your response and including the science behind the explanation.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
06-08-2020, (Subject: 2012 MX-13 NOX SENSORS ) 
(06-07-2020 )BLOODSWEATTEARSMX13 Wrote:  Well that was painful to read but I am glad you told me. I won't do the can washing again.

more references: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid51493

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-09-2020, (Subject: 2012 MX-13 NOX SENSORS ) 
I read and watched everything. I wish I had the software for the MX-13 though and someone on here did a video on doing an EGR tune up on a 2012 MX-13. I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up the first time I do it... Thanks for all the information. Very helpful.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.