Turning up torque
02-25-2016, (Subject: Turning up torque ) 
Turning up torque
My volvo is at 475hp and would like to turn the torque up. Is this possible and how high can I go safely? I remember seeing a post here but it's not anymore with the file name using calte@m. Thanks for Rawze and the videos.
replyreply
02-26-2016, (Subject: Turning up torque ) 
RE: Turning up torque
You the driver are the main deciding factor on what a safe limit is, I was running around with close to 2400ft lb most of last year, its since been turned down really didn't need that much running down the road.

Not sure we can answer the rest of your question on here at the moment, but there is a place you can get the answers starts with m an ends with umble lol.
replyreply
(02-25-2016 )mikealike Wrote:  My volvo is at 475hp and would like to turn the torque up. Is this possible and how high can I go safely? I remember seeing a post here but it's not anymore with the file name using calte@m. Thanks for Rawze and the videos.

Yes, its possible to change the torque, but it must be done properly with correct torque curves, etc.

How high can you go? -- that should be re-phrased to "How high should you go Safely?". And the answer to that involves things to consider. They are ..

@ the higher you go, and the more torque you use in any engine, the shorter its overall lifespan.

@ the older the engine the higher the risk of something failing due to the extra stress.

@ The poorer shape the engine is running, the faster problems will set in.

@ The overall structural limits need to be considered.

@ What model, factory hardware, and year the engine is.

@ What drive-line, clutch, transmission, and other components the truck has needs to be considered.

Without all the details of how old the engine is, its condition, how much it has had a history of problems, and a lot of other factors, no one can tell you this. Some suggestions towards what may be safe based on what you want to achieve is the best you can hope for.

The next thing, is are you looking for just torque? or Horsepower too? - Because increasing Torque alone will alter horsepower too, unless you alter the power curve and only put the torque in lower RPM regions. This can sometimes be bad for the engine if you get the torque to HP ratio too far out of balance.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I am looking at some fine tuning on a spread sheet at this stage.I've worked out my torque tables with 425Hp from 1150 to 1500Rpm and i have also droped the fueling tables slightly, What other things should i be looking at.
The engine is in good shape for its age and all this would be done after a tune up.
replyreply
(02-26-2016 )jack0327 Wrote:  I am looking at some fine tuning on a spread sheet at this stage.I've worked out my torque tables with 425Hp from 1150 to 1500Rpm and i have also droped the fueling tables slightly, What other things should i be looking at.
The engine is in good shape for its age and all this would be done after a tune up.

(RPM x Torque in N_m) / 7121 = Horsepower.

OR...

(RPM x Torque in Ft_lbs) / 5252 = Horsepower.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
The 485hp/2100 lb tune is really nice, optimized, couldn't be happier. Very easy to drive, 8.2 avg. this week and that's with NE heavy traffic running regional.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(02-26-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  
(02-26-2016 )jack0327 Wrote:  I am looking at some fine tuning on a spread sheet at this stage.I've worked out my torque tables with 425Hp from 1150 to 1500Rpm and i have also droped the fueling tables slightly, What other things should i be looking at.

(RPM x Torque in N_m) / 7121 = Horsepower.

OR...

Then convert back to n_m
replyreply
Anyone have any idea how a @m*m^2 871 would compare set at 600 2050 to a 2250 set at same power and torque, I am just curious cause I know the 871 has a bigger turbo which I would think can generate more raw hp and I understand you can put an 871 turbo on a 2250 would probly lose a little bottem end response but overall the bigger turbo would produce more airflow at higher rpm, with that being said an 871 should have better response then an 870 due to having an electric actuater on the turbo instead off the air actuated like the 870 has,
replyreply
02-28-2016, (Subject: Turning up torque ) 
(02-26-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  The 485hp/2100 lb tune is really nice, optimized, couldn't be happier. Very easy to drive, 8.2 avg. this week and that's with NE heavy traffic running regional.
Are you talking about @m*m^2?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.