Need some guidance
12-09-2020, (Subject: Need some guidance ) 
RE: Need some guidance
If you can afford a good set of AGM batteries, I would go that route. Try a Batteries Plus store, their batteries are fresh, I can attest to that, and come with a pretty solid warranty. I know when I was at the truck stop looking at their batteries, none were up to snuff, they had little to any charge on them and when checking the dates... Those babies had been there awhile.

Myself, I'm running four wet cell old school Duracell group 31 in the battery box, $99 ea from Batteries Plus, they were just a few weeks old. In the sleeper, one deep cycle AGM battery that is connected to the battery box with the solar panels... Even one 100 watt panel with a controller will keep all of them fresh, even on cloudy days.

If you are concerned about battery health and longevity, seriously look at a solar panel and an inexpensive controller. Worth every penny.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(12-09-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  If you can afford a good set of AGM batteries, I would go that route. Try a Batteries Plus store, their batteries are fresh, I can attest to that, and come with a pretty solid warranty. I know when I was at the truck stop looking at their batteries, none were up to snuff, they had little to any charge on them and when checking the dates... Those babies had been there awhile.

Myself, I'm running four wet cell old school Duracell group 31 in the battery box, $99 ea from Batteries Plus, they were just a few weeks old. In the sleeper, one deep cycle AGM battery that is connected to the battery box with the solar panels... Even one 100 watt panel with a controller will keep all of them fresh, even on cloudy days.

If you are concerned about battery health and longevity, seriously look at a solar panel and an inexpensive controller. Worth every penny.
I remember you had mentioned that before, I was going to do the two center batteries deep cell and the two outside ones regular batteries. I have my inverter hooked to the two center ones now. Well, I have the negative on one and the positive on the other. But all the batteries are connected like every other truck. I just have this thought that it would pull more from the center ones. Is that a blond moment or am I on to something....Lol
replyreply
Blond moment... That's ok though, I used to be one... LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
the problem with batteries deep cycle and regular is that the worst powered battery in the bunch is going to make all the rest of the batteries just like it. this is why its never recommended to mismatch batteries old/new this brand/that brand.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker , Waterloo , Rawze
(12-09-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  the problem with batteries deep cycle and regular is that the worst powered battery in the bunch is going to make all the rest of the batteries just like it. this is why its never recommended to mismatch batteries old/new this brand/that brand.
I do all four at once when ever I do batteries. I just want to make sure I can do two deep cell and two regular or will they mess each other up. I have known drivers that have a bad battery and put one in. Next month, another bad battery until all four are new then those don't last like they should. I do four at a time and no issues.
replyreply
12-10-2020, (Subject: Need some guidance ) 
I've got four of the wet cells, and one deep cycle AGM hybrid battery in the sleeper, I looked into this when I hooked up my solar set up, and everything I could find was that they all charge the same. So, as long as they are all fresh, mixing an AGM should not be an issue. I have not had any problems with my set up.

I have run this setup for quite a few years, wet in the box, AGM in the cab. I really delved into all of this when I put the solar panels on the truck.

replyreply
01-22-2021, (Subject: Need some guidance ) 
(12-10-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I've got four of the wet cells, and one deep cycle AGM hybrid battery in the sleeper, I looked into this when I hooked up my solar set up, and everything I could find was that they all charge the same. So, as long as they are all fresh, mixing an AGM should not be an issue. I have not had any problems with my set up.

I have run this setup for quite a few years, wet in the box, AGM in the cab. I really delved into all of this when I put the solar panels on the truck.

So just kinda updating, catching up, on this. So I started having trouble with the truck cranking slow on cold mornings. I had been out for like five weeks and was leaning toward getting back. I had to have a driver jump me one morning. I ended up finding one of the little short cables on the negative side loose and melted some. I replaced it and finished another week and got back home. I ended up replacing all four batteries. I got them from batteries plus just after Christmas and they have been working great. I have been staying out a lot since in some really cold weather. I leave the truck off all night with the fridge running. It cranks in the morning like it's a warm summer day. I have also ran the roof mount AC and the voltage only drops to 13.5. I really want to thank everyone for all the information and advice.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , SquareOne , Waterloo
(01-22-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  So just kinda updating, catching up, on this. So I started having trouble with the truck cranking slow on cold mornings. I had been out for like five weeks and was leaning toward getting back. I had to have a driver jump me one morning. I ended up finding one of the little short cables on the negative side loose and melted some. I replaced it and finished another week and got back home. I ended up replacing all four batteries. I got them from batteries plus just after Christmas and they have been working great. I have been staying out a lot since in some really cold weather. I leave the truck off all night with the fridge running. It cranks in the morning like it's a warm summer day. I have also ran the roof mount AC and the voltage only drops to 13.5. I really want to thank everyone for all the information and advice.

Appreciate the update. Looks like you got a decent price on those as well. Just for comparison sake, what were the specs of the batteries you replaced and how long did you have them in service?

- I currently have four NAPA (cant remember the specs at the moment) batteries which I replaced in mid Nov 2019. I replaced the starter as well a few months later since it was getting long in the tooth with nearly 450k. Unfortunately, it seems like they're already beginning to show their age. Drops down to about 10.8-11.2v when cranking in cold weather and although consistent, def doesn't roll the engine like it used to (the first 60-70k they were in service). NAPA does have a 4yr proration period on these-- first year replacement, with the percentage of proration moving down each year until the 4th year, but I may see what else is out there the next time around.

How long are you guys typically getting out of a set of batteries? Mileage /or time in service?
replyreply
(01-22-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 )Ricky Wrote:  So just kinda updating, catching up, on this. So I started having trouble with the truck cranking slow on cold mornings. I had been out for like five weeks and was leaning toward getting back. I had to have a driver jump me one morning. I ended up finding one of the little short cables on the negative side loose and melted some. I replaced it and finished another week and got back home. I ended up replacing all four batteries. I got them from batteries plus just after Christmas and they have been working great. I have been staying out a lot since in some really cold weather. I leave the truck off all night with the fridge running. It cranks in the morning like it's a warm summer day. I have also ran the roof mount AC and the voltage only drops to 13.5. I really want to thank everyone for all the information and advice.

Appreciate the update. Looks like you got a decent price on those as well. Just for comparison sake, what were the specs of the batteries you replaced and how long did you have them in service?

- I currently have four NAPA (cant remember the specs at the moment) batteries which I replaced in mid Nov 2019. I replaced the starter as well a few months later since it was getting long in the tooth with nearly 450k. Unfortunately, it seems like they're already beginning to show their age. Drops down to about 10.8-11.2v when cranking in cold weather and although consistent, def doesn't roll the engine like it used to (the first 60-70k they were in service). NAPA does have a 4yr proration period on these-- first year replacement, with the percentage of proration moving down each year until the 4th year, but I may see what else is out there the next time around.

How long are you guys typically getting out of a set of batteries? Mileage /or time in service?
I bought the last batteries at O'Reilly and they lasted around 2 1/2 years. But I do run a pretty big inverter. I have been upgrading everything and will all the great advice here it's coming out great. This is the O'Reilly batteries, I think they did good. I think the ones I just got from Batteries Plus are just what I need. The CCAs are lower but so far it's been more than enough. When I change my starter I'm going with the smaller high torque starter.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.