Chassis grease...
06-23-2020, (Subject: Chassis grease... ) 
Chassis grease...
Recently I've been playing with different kinds of grease to try to find something better than what I've been using. I switched from red to green grease, the red seemed to like to sling out of my u joints alot, leaving them dry inside of 5k miles.

I started using green, it was supposedly better and didn't like to sling out of u joints as much. It was fine when the temps were still mild. For the last few days, it's been pretty hot. Whaddya know? I went under the truck again, and my u joints and clutch linkage look like they've never been greased. I noticed it smeared easy when hot, really thin, so it looks like it doesn't tolerate high temps well. That would explain why it's all gone. The clutch was so dry it was creaking on my way home.

I'm considering using GAA, military grease. I remember that, the yellow stuff, being both thick and temp resistant, from -50 to 120+ deg F.

What have you guys used, and where? I'm big on greasing, and usually grease my clutch and drivetrain mid PM, with a full grease during a PM... but I didn't even make it that far this time.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Chassis grease...
NOTE: never mix red (#2) and green (#2 hi-temp) grease... it makes a clay in the bearings and causes accelerated wear. Seen people do that plenty of times and it cause problems. Use one or the other, don't go back and fourth, and make sure you flushed the joints thoroughly before switching to one or the other.

If you want something high-performance then I would recommend the red-line full syn grease... I have not found anything better.
https://amzn.to/2B2mCfT

Myself though ... I use cheap norther-tool brand grease in most joints but use the redline in the u-joints and king pins.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf , Toolguy
That's the reason for my post. I'd rather find what works and stick with it.

The green seemed to work fine until it got hot, then it melted away. The red slung out of all my u joints rather quickly. Neither fills the bill.

I'll go ahead and check out that grease. I haven't changed the grease in my steering or wheel end components yet...hasn't been an issue there. Once I switch, I'll regrease weekly until I'm confident it's been switched.

There was also a lithium, gray moly and a polyurethane grease (which I know is sticky as all hell) that I was considering, but I passed due to other reasons.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
I use a green poly urea based grease, forumulated for marine applications. I use it because it is the only thing I have found that doesn’t seem to wash out in wet conditions. One time last year I ran FL to NM and was in the rain the entire time, no shi#t, the whole time. When I got under to grease after delivery there was still grease showing on my slack adjusters. I am not saying it’s the best thing ever, but it works well for me.

I second what Rawze said, don’t mix red, (lithium grease) with green (poly urea) it’s bad news.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Toolguy
06-24-2020, (Subject: Chassis grease... ) 
(06-23-2020 )dhirocz Wrote:  The red slung out of all my u joints rather quickly.

It is possible to over grease u-joints(and almost everything else). If your grease is slinging out, you have probably over greased them to many times and weakend the seals. If you hear popping and see grease come out, you went to far.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(06-24-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  ...It is possible to over grease u-joints(and almost everything else). If your grease is slinging out, you have probably over greased them to many times and weakend the seals. If you hear popping and see grease come out, you went to far.

- According to spicer (thats the joints I run), they want you to grease their joints until it has purged out of all caps. They then explain if one of the sections are not purging, find the issue and correct before putting back into service.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JMBT , Brock , Waterloo , Toolguy
Does it purge from the seal or are there special holes for it to purge from?

replyreply
Purges out of the seals ....it's a messy process, but assures even grease distribution when done properly. Just keep some old rags handy...
replyreply
If it were mine I wouldn't do it that way but that's just me.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.