Run them or replace them?
06-25-2020, (Subject: Run them or replace them? ) 
Run them or replace them?
      I don’t want to replace these tires yet. They have 8-9/32” in the main tread. There’s a couple of glitches on the edges from a while back. Alignment was corrected. But they never really go away. They have 216,000 miles. I’m going to the left coast. Don’t want problems there. I think they’re ok, but will one of them??
replyreply
RE: Run them or replace them?
(06-25-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote:  I don’t want to replace these tires yet. They have 8-9/32” in the main tread. There’s a couple of glitches on the edges from a while back. Alignment was corrected. They have 216,000 miles. I’m going to the left coast. Don’t want problems there. I think they’re ok, but will one of them??

I would take them both off and save them for trailer tires. I don't play with steer tires, it's just not safe. Once a steer starts to wear funny, it's done. The wear will only get worse even if you fixed the problem. They will still wear out prematurely on a trailer but at least you'll get some life from them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Explosia
(06-25-2020 )Ricky Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote:  I don’t want to replace these tires yet. They have 8-9/32” in the main tread. There’s a couple of glitches on the edges from a while back. Alignment was corrected. They have 216,000 miles. I’m going to the left coast. Don’t want problems there. I think they’re ok, but will one of them??

I would take them both off and save them for trailer tires. I don't play with steer tires, it's just not safe. Once a steer starts to wear funny, it's done. The wear will only get worse even if you fixed the problem. They will still wear out prematurely on a trailer but at least you'll get some life from them.

I hear you. I don’t have a trailer. If I’m lucky, I’ll get $40
apiece for the casings.
replyreply
(06-25-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 )Ricky Wrote:  

I hear you. I don’t have a trailer. If I’m lucky, I’ll get $40
apiece for the casings.
Yeah, not sure where you're at but around here log trucks and dump wagons would buy them. I have a guy that takes all my old tires, as long as he can regrove them he gives me 25 bucks. I line them up out back and when I have time I load them up. But when steers start to wear like that you're going to start getting a shake and that wears other stuff too. If there are tire places around where you stay I'm sure you can find a better deal than out on the road somewhere. You gotta have a tire guy, a good one is worth his weight in gold.
replyreply
(06-25-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote:  I don’t want to replace these tires yet. They have 8-9/32” in the main tread. There’s a couple of glitches on the edges from a while back. Alignment was corrected. But they never really go away. They have 216,000 miles. I’m going to the left coast. Don’t want problems there. I think they’re ok, but will one of them??

u might get about 2k-3k more miles on them and then the groove will be completely gone... keep a tight eye on them if your going to keep running them. if you start to see a patch of slightly softer rubber under where it is wearing,.. you need to replace it. - DOT will not get u until the second rubber is showing or there are more that 2 grooves in a row missing side by side across the tire.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , SquareOne
(06-25-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-25-2020 )Mrkentee Wrote:  I don’t want to replace these tires yet. They have 8-9/32” in the main tread. There’s a couple of glitches on the edges from a while back. Alignment was corrected. But they never really go away. They have 216,000 miles. I’m going to the left coast. Don’t want problems there. I think they’re ok, but will one of them??

u might get about 2k-3k more miles on them and then the groove will be completely gone... keep a tight eye on them if your going to keep running them. if you start to see a patch of slightly softer rubber under where it is wearing,.. you need to replace it. - DOT will not get u until the second rubber is showing or there are more that 2 grooves in a row missing side by side across the tire.

I’ll probably just bite the bullet, and give up trying to set a record. I have a friend that changes his steers every year, regardless of mileage. I like to bust his chops about it.
replyreply
Watch that wear mark on the shoulder VERY close. Blow a trailer or drive and ur set back a cpl hrs at the tire shop. Blow a steer and if ur lucky ur stuck on the side of the rd, if not so lucky ur truck takes a nap out in the woods.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
(06-25-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Watch that wear mark on the shoulder VERY close. Blow a trailer or drive and ur set back a cpl hrs at the tire shop. Blow a steer and if ur lucky ur stuck on the side of the rd, if not so lucky ur truck takes a nap out in the woods.

Yeah, I’m convinced. Probably get them tomorrow. I have a good national account price through my fuel card.
replyreply
Make sure you inspect your shocks, and the bushings before buying new ones. I ruined a set of Michelin’s with the same exact wear pattern because I didn’t notice the bushings were worn.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mrkentee , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.