SPN-3490 Aftertreatment purge air actuator
07-12-2020, (Subject: SPN-3490 Aftertreatment purge air actuator ) 
SPN-3490 Aftertreatment purge air actuator
Hello everyone, I had this code and replaced the purge air actuator mounted on the side of the engine. Cleared the code and the following weekend after replacing the fuel filters, it took about 3 engine cranks to prime the fuel system and Start the engine. The code came back up. It’s a Cummins X15. Anyone had this happen before?
replyreply
RE: SPN-3490 Aftertreatment purge air actuator
Need the FMI as well as the SPN or we need the actual code. your supposed to prefill fuel filters on the X15, are you putting them on dry?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
could you add a little more information about your truck. You say it's an X15, what year exactly?

I've had that code repeatedly pop up on my cm2250. It was intermittent and at the end of the day I never did figure out what the actual problem was. I'm guessing, in my case, that there was a bad wire or ground somewhere since it would only happen sometimes and never while trying to troubleshoot it! I indirectly solved the problem by no longer needed that system to function.

You may already know, but there are specific troubleshooting steps to follow for this code. As this part interacts with air, fuel and electrical systems, you'll need to look up the correct code and troubleshooting steps for your particular engine via quickserve.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
Oh, and if I remember correctly this code will not go away/turn off the MIL unless you clear it directly. It may have only triggered briefly and gone inactive but will continue to display until manually cleared. That's what was happening with my truck.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(07-12-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Need the FMI as well as the SPN or we need the actual code. your supposed to prefill fuel filters on the X15, are you putting them on dry?

They were pre filled, but it still took maybe 3 cranks to start. I am getting the fault code from my ELD system which monitors the truck health.
replyreply
(07-12-2020 )JimT Wrote:  could you add a little more information about your truck. You say it's an X15, what year exactly?

I've had that code repeatedly pop up on my cm2250. It was intermittent and at the end of the day I never did figure out what the actual problem was. I'm guessing, in my case, that there was a bad wire or ground somewhere since it would only happen sometimes and never while trying to troubleshoot it! I indirectly solved the problem by no longer needed that system to function.

You may already know, but there are specific troubleshooting steps to follow for this code. As this part interacts with air, fuel and electrical systems, you'll need to look up the correct code and troubleshooting steps for your particular engine via quickserve.

It’s 2015 Kenworth T680 10speed auto
replyreply
(07-12-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Oh, and if I remember correctly this code will not go away/turn off the MIL unless you clear it directly. It may have only triggered briefly and gone inactive but will continue to display until manually cleared. That's what was happening with my truck.

You are correct. I replaced the purge valve mounted on the side of the engine and had the light cleared with a scan tool. 1 week later it’s back on. Smh
replyreply
(07-12-2020 )Godsplan15 Wrote:  [quote='JimT' pid='55636' dateline='1594569066']

It’s 2015 Kenworth T680 10speed auto

Not an X15, its a cm2350. Do you have cummins insite and an inline adapter?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
So, unless I'm mistaken, a 2015 engine will be an ISX 15, cm2350. This is different then the newer "X15" engines.

Also, if you want to truly troubleshoot/work on your own engine you'll need Insite running on a laptop and a free account on Cummins Quickserve to look up engine specific information, parts and up to date troubleshooting info. All you really need to sign up is your engine's ESN.

As for insite, search this forum, it's been discussed hundreds of times. Rawze also has a youtube video on setting it up.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Godsplan15

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.