SPN-3490 Aftertreatment purge air actuator
07-13-2020, (Subject: SPN-3490 Aftertreatment purge air actuator ) 
RE: SPN-3490 Aftertreatment purge air actuator
It gets expensive around here, LOL!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-12-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I currently run mine off my 3000 watt Honda generator. But now I'm gonna have to do a serious upgrade of inverters for my new truck. I don't want to bring the generator on the new truck.... damn you Loo, there goes even more money and time in running heavy cable, fuses and probably a 3500 watt sine wave inverter.

I upgraded mine to a 3000 watt from a RV that I got a great deal on. BUT, I had to run a 4/0 hot and a 2/0 ground from the alternator to the batteries and the batteries to the inverter. I'm waiting for the 325 amp alternator to get here. Just be prepared for the upgrades for the big inverter. But for me the trucks not going anywhere and it's better for what I need.
replyreply
(07-13-2020 )Ricky Wrote:  I upgraded mine to a 3000 watt from a RV that I got a great deal on. BUT, I had to run a 4/0 hot and a 2/0 ground from the alternator to the batteries and the batteries to the inverter. I'm waiting for the 325 amp alternator to get here. Just be prepared for the upgrades for the big inverter. But for me the trucks not going anywhere and it's better for what I need.

We're getting a bit off topic here, but I was taught that your hot and ground wires (or hot and neutral for AC) should always be the same size for a given run. The capacity will be limited by the smaller wire. So you're example above would allow you to draw only what the 2/0 can handle. The 4/0 won't be at risk of over heating, but wouldn't provide any real benefit over a 2/0 wire in this case. Unless you have multiple return paths that aggregate to higher capacity, but that's unlikely. It's the same reason why it's so important that you maintain good, clean ground connections around your truck. When I run cabling I match both wire size and length of run for hot and ground wires.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(07-13-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 )Ricky Wrote:  I upgraded mine to a 3000 watt from a RV that I got a great deal on. BUT, I had to run a 4/0 hot and a 2/0 ground from the alternator to the batteries and the batteries to the inverter. I'm waiting for the 325 amp alternator to get here. Just be prepared for the upgrades for the big inverter. But for me the trucks not going anywhere and it's better for what I need.

We're getting a bit off topic here, but I was taught that your hot and ground wires (or hot and neutral for AC) should always be the same size for a given run. The capacity will be limited by the smaller wire. So you're example above would allow you to draw only what the 2/0 can handle. The 4/0 won't be at risk of over heating, but wouldn't provide any real benefit over a 2/0 wire in this case. Unless you have multiple return paths that aggregate to higher capacity, but that's unlikely. It's the same reason why it's so important that you maintain good, clean ground connections around your truck. When I run cabling I match both wire size and length of run for hot and ground wires.
I was referring to the 12 volt from the alternator. The wire from the inverter to the wall plug is regular outdoor grade 110 wire. The same wire runs from AC and has a heavy duty plug on it. I have never heard of 12 volt hot and ground having to be the same gauge wire and length. Every 12 volt system I have seen most always has a smaller ground.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.