Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
07-12-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
RE: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
Man I have always done my own Oil changes and greasing....... I just never trust anyone else to do it plus I am not near any place to have someone else do it.
I always try to drive my passenger steer up on a block so that I my pour drain is facing down. I have a quick drain plug I use for most of it but when I have a couple gallons left I remove the plug completely.
Another trick I do just before pulling the oil filter is fire truck up for 5 secs or so and than shut it off. It’s just enough to suck some of the oil out of the filter so when you undo the filter you don’t have oil running all over. Some people like punching a hole in the Bottom to drain it I just never have like that. Before putting the oil filter on I will fill it about half and make sure I put a lil oil on the o-ring just to make it easier to take the filter off the next time.
As for fuel filters I will my primary water separator filter and put my second filter on dry. I would just crack the filter and let the priming pump fill it and that tighten it down and cycle the prim pump twice and she usually fire pretty quick. Don’t know if that helps much, it’s something I do all the time so I don’t think much about it so having to try to explain it makes me think about it a lil bit lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , JimT , Pd6cas2
por15 has worked great at stopping rust on every part of my truck that wanted to rust up. - some things have been painted with the stuff for years and i don;t see any problems yet. -- just my experiences I have used the stuff or many years on many things... Knock the rust off,.. prep the surface, por-15 it. -- better yet, knock the rust off,.. correseal it, then por15 over the top of that.. works even better, as they are compatible.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JimT , Pd6cas2 , JMBT
Loo, that video is of rubberized undercoating. That stuff is crap. You see how easy he jabs his screwdriver through it. Its not a great coating. It gets moisture behind it because it's not a good sealant and people paint it over really rusted crap. All my experiences with it ended in horrible outcomes. Everything was better off being left bare to dry.

Like Rawze said, scrape the rust and flaky paint off. Do a little prep and drying. Corroseal and por15. I haven't had a problem yet with por15 except it doesn't like heavy duty degreaser. My 2nd coat pealed when I used it. 1st coat stayed intact.

As far as JimT pressurizing the coolant system while the pan is off. Its just good to know if you have the starts of a problem or a problem you didn't know you had. The pan is off, why not do it?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
(07-12-2020 )Canadian_eh85 Wrote:  Man I have always done my own Oil changes and greasing....... I just never trust anyone else to do it

Its always seemed strange to me that a lot of the guys on here will inframe a truck in the driveway or any other major repair because they don't trust anyone else, but yet they always take the truck somewhere to have the oil changed and greased. Probably the easiest way to contaminate your oil/engine is to have some idiot knocking dirt down the fill tube or into the filter as they shove it up to screw it on, under/overfilling, stripping the drain plug, over/ under tightening the filter, over greasing and blowing out boots and seals on your steering components. Just never made sense to let those screw balls near your truck. What makes you think they'll do the oil change right when they can't do anything else right?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Mattman , Canadian_eh85 , Signature620 , JimT , Nostalgic , JMBT
(07-12-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Ok, got a bunch of small, random questions, figured I'd drop them all in one thread. Maybe others can benefit from the information too. Trying to think of and ask questions now, before I start taking things apart. In no particular order:

(2012 Pete 587 cm2250)

* Doing my own oil/filter change and lube job for the first time soon. Just wondering what tools or supplies I might need. (Besides oil/filters/grease and buckets!) Either required items or things/tools that others have found handy or useful.

* Whats the consensus? Prefill oil and/or fuel filters or not? I know it's been discussed before, but my memory is fuzzy.

* Planning to drop the oil pan, inspect the bottom end, clean up and repaint the pan. Do I need a new, replacement gasket or is it a reusable gasket?

* What things should I look for while the pan is down?

* I want to add temp sensors/gauges for both diffs and the tranny. why? because I don't like guessing and want to make sure I can catch any potential problems before they get bad. So, suggestions for brands of gauges and locations to install them on the diffs/trans? i saw glowshift has a few combo gauges that might work nicely to save space.

* I'm replacing my front (steer) springs (yes, new u-bolts too). Looks pretty simple. Any tips, tricks or videos to help out? They are unpainted, anybody have preferences on paint to use? I have some generic chassis black spray paint laying around.

* Front (steer) shocks are almost 2 years old, no signs of oil leaks. They do need new bushings, which I have. Should I just replace the shocks when I do the springs or just do the bushings? What's the typical lifespan? I don't have a lot of spare money (saving up for an inframe), but if they're due to be replaced soon then now would be the time.

* Oil pressure sensor: It's very hard to see, but it appears I'm leaking oil from the oil pressure sensor. Nothing is hitting the ground, but the starter looks pretty wet, which is how I noticed it. Does this need to be replaced while the oil is drained or can it be done at any time? Also, how the !@#$ do you get back there without removing (in my case) the davco, the fuel filter, the ECM, a ton of wires and, in a perfect world, I'd move the frame rail too! (yeah, I know, thats not gonna happen ;) )

I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting...
I do my own oil changes just because I really don't trust places. I have seen places cut corners and not fill the oil filter. To me that is a huge no go. I used to do my own greasing but I started letting Speedco do that. I grease about every 5000 miles and that's too much climbing around under there, I'm getting to old. I pre fill all my filters, always have. I run the truck a bit, then do the fuel filters. Then run it and then do the oil and filter. Tools, lol, the longer you have a truck the more you end up buying. I could run a small shop with what I have bought over the years.
Did rods and mains at high 600s, replaced the gasket. Never even crossed my mind to reuse it.
Never added temperature gauges to the transmission or diffs.
I replaced my front springs with aftermarket from a great place in Pa. One of the best things I could have done.
Shocks, I second the just change about every two years. I got mine from Orileys, fixing to do them again soon.
replyreply
I have a 2350. Oil and spin on fuel filter and I have the paccar water separator filter cost right at $100 for fleet guard filters. Then 10 gallons of oil and one gallon of gear oil. So about $250 for filters and oil.

I do all my work. I have trust issues.
My main headache is getting rid of the used oil. I drain into buckets and take them to a quick lube place and they let me pour it in their tank.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
(07-12-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  I have a 2350. Oil and spin on fuel filter and I have the paccar water separator filter cost right at $100 for fleet guard filters. Then 10 gallons of oil and one gallon of gear oil. So about $250 for filters and oil.

I do all my work. I have trust issues.
My main headache is getting rid of the used oil. I drain into buckets and take them to a quick lube place and they let me pour it in their tank.

Local O'Reilly let's me drop mine and I even put my empty jugs in their trash. But you can't tell them that your fuel is mixed in the oil. Most all places are like that. But I use the fuel to clean my drain pans and just mix it in the oil.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Mattman
Normally I go to TA as stated due to cost comparison. As for greasing, I really have no clue what's supposed to be greased. Sure I see a bunch of spots, but it would be nice to find some kind of check list so I don't overlook something critical. I know I've caught other mechanics missing obvious ones on my truck before, and they should know all the points.

As I said, main reason for doing it myself this time is to drop the pan. SeemsAs for coolant leaking around the liners, well, I'm already gearing up for an inframe as I'm going through a gallon of oil every 3,000 miles. Once I have the money allocated I'll be pulling the trigger on that.

Any other tools or such, other then the basic wrenches, that might come in handy for any of the other items listed? I'd like to have everything I need on hand so I can knock it all out in one shot. Even makeshift homemade devices are welcome!

Suggestions on particular grease to use? TA's been pumping some redish stuff in there, not exactly sure of the product or brand. Just don't want to mix incompatible stuff together by accident. Also, suggestions on grease guns? I'v got a cheap one from harbor freight, not too fond of it. Wouldn't mind getting one or two new ones.

I like tools, have a really nice collection growing. Besides a growing assortment of automotive tools, I have a large collection of wood working tools. Have an entire 12x20' shed dedicated to my wood working equipment. Recently started picking up a few metal working tools too. The wife runs away screaming whenever I mention going to Lowes or Harbor Freight.

Any other suggestions/tips for the springs? One person I spoke to mentioned using a C-Clamp for something, but I'm not quite sure what he was talking about. Been looking for some videos on this topic but only found one so far. Seems pretty straight forward, but not something I want to screw up with and get hurt in the process.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
Dewalt makes a nice 20V grease gun

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.