Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
07-13-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
RE: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
For grease guns I have one outfitted with a this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383372451415

and

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221592407522

and another grease gun has this one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323104660825

I have two other grease guns with regular ends also. They where bought from John Deere and they are they best I have ever used. That comes from years of greasing farm equipment. I am not sure who makes them for John Deere though. Also, make sure you buy a pistol grip grease gun also!

I have wanted to buy and try this for years but just can not justify using it yet anyways...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222041668375

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Toolguy
(07-13-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  When you drop that pan...

Awesome info, thanks!

I don't own a zip gun or impact wrench, so everything it done by hand. Haven't been able to justify the cost vs need, yet... For speeding through loose bolts and such I have an 18v cordless drill and an 18v impact from bosch, but neither can handle any meaningful torque. In fact that impact is basically worthless for automotive use. I've been eyeing one of those Dewalt's that Rawze has up on his Amazon link, but it can wait.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
Took some time today to go out and grease things up. Had a tube of Red line CV-2 laying around from when I changed the ball joints on my dodge 2500 a few years back. Hit everything I could find without running out. Front end/steering was pretty easy. Brakes no problem. None of the driveline u-joints had grease zerks, so unless I'm missing something they are sealed. Only thing I'm not positive about is the clutch/tranny. There's 2 remote lube lines mounted by the driver steer tire that run back to the clutch. Couldn't find any other lines or zerks. Hope I'm not missing something there???

Only real downside was a combination of jeans, tank top, flip flops, gravel driveway and a nice bright sunburn on my back from yesterday. Gotta grab some cheap plywood for next time...

Oh, and anyone else reading this to learn something, disposable gloves! Makes cleanup much easier!

Couldn't do the oil/filters today since I don't have big enough wrenches for the filters.

Any amazon links to a recommended, decent oil/fuel filter wrench? Bonus points if it works for my tractor AND my dodge! (though not required)

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
You will need a filter wrench like this one, there are a few different sizes depending on your filter. https://amzn.to/306E8rR

Just make sure you get the correct diameter, and you will need a long 1/2' extension and a good long handle ratchet. Easiest to remove from directly underneath, pretend you are in a pit. I would poke a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain off before removing, this can get real messy when you are laying on the ground wrenching on the filter. The last time I removed the oil filter, I thought the kid had welded it on. It is difficult to get leverage when in the driveway, in a pit, standing, piece of cake.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
I don't get excited about adding oil till I can dump a whole gallon in. Which is a hair above the add line. If its at the add line then it'll take 1.5 to 2 gallons to bring it back up to full. I can't see the use in babysitting an 11 gallon capacity engine quart by quart.
replyreply
(07-13-2020 )JimT Wrote:  ...
Couldn't do the oil/filters today since I don't have big enough wrenches for the filters.

I use this (or something similar) to this...
https://amzn.to/2ZqOZ0x
to remove my filters,.. and a standard hand filter wrench to put them back on.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , JimT , Toolguy
07-14-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
(07-13-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-13-2020 )JimT Wrote:  ...

I use this (or something similar) to this...
https://amzn.to/2ZqOZ0x
to remove my filters,.. and a standard hand filter wrench to put them back on.

I've never seen one like that, I just ordered one. It's nice that the ratchet attaches to the center of it instead of the side. Should make it a lot easier to use.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
07-14-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
I do my own oil changes and greasing. I recently bought a 55g drum of oil from the local distributor (saves a buck per gallon over walmart) can buy grease from them as well significantly cheaper than anywhere else. Drop my oil into a galvanized washtub (20gallon?) Then dump in used steel 55g drums to be burned in a waste oil heater (that i haven't built yet). Always prefill filters, not doing so increases the risk of collapse and well not filling fuel filters makes priming a damn nightmare. Also the amnt of time it takes to fill an oil filter once started is time ur bearings are not getting sufficient lubrication. Imagine other activities if u didnt have any lubrication to start the process, ouch... it usually takes me about an hr depending on how many ac/beer breaks i take in between. Having a drum and all that at home makes changing the pickups oil a quicker task too. As for dropping the oil filter id suggest a punch to the bottom and wait a few minutes while u replace the fuel filters. Drop it and enjoy a mess free project. My spin on fuel filter makes a bigger mess than the oil filter most of the time.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Toolguy
07-28-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
Quick question, may be a matter of opinion, but thought I'd see what people say:

When draining the oil, if the truck has been sitting for a couple days, is it better to run the engine up to temp first or just drain it while everything has obeyed the law of gravity and made it's way into the pan? I know hot oil flows out better, but it seems silly to pump all that oil up into the engine just to heat it up and wait for it to drain back down.

Personally, I don't see much difference in the end. Thoughts?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.