Oil pressure dropping
09-06-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure dropping ) 
RE: Oil pressure dropping
(09-06-2020 )carco Wrote:  OK. Pulled pan chked a rod and a main near engine front. Looked ok bit of dirt evidence. installed updated oil pump, no pressure change. Ran a couple days and pulled pan again and pulled girdle/windage tray chked rod and main near rear of engine decent. Left pan off overnight. Next AM found puddle of coolant under #3, a drop on liner bottom. Pulled head cam bearings showed copper. #3 liner cracked about 1.5 inches so inframed, w/reman head, pressure relief in filter head, dampener, new updated oil pump, first time reman injectors, counterbored block, Cummins parts. Engine much quieter and smoother one 40 mile trip at over 105K steep hills and turns, almost 800 miles on inframe.

Still shows max oil pressure of 34-35 hot and 35 max cold high idle no load at 1700rpm and 20-22 psi at hot idle.

Question???
Is there a good place to add a manual gauge permanently. Maybe access small filter head port?? or oil cooler port?? or a better access port???

Thank you!

hopefully they did the job right ... plus raised the liners to 0.014" ... or you will be doing it again.

hopefully they used all OEM pars too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-07-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure dropping ) 
Why did you use a reman head? That could be your oil pressure loss right there. You should be hitting 40psi easily with that new pump. No shimming required to get to 40psi either, especially after a fresh in frame.

The sad reality is, they may have simply cleaned up your old head and reinstalled it.

You did check the serial numbers on the head, or were there to see it installed and your old head carted off to the scrap yard?

This is getting to be pretty common out here... Something to check, the head serial number should be welded into the back side of the head, at the firewall. I would check.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
09-14-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure dropping ) 
Ok Update, on inframe. Runs better, smoother, still pulls good have not checked fuel mileage appears a bit better but need to run figures.
All parts were Cummins, including dampener, and reman head. My shop did the inframe tried to watch everything only our second ISX. The first was last summer in a T800 dump truck, still running everyday driver bought it from company and loves it!
My low oil pressure problem is still there,,, however a manual pressure check has revealed oil pressure is good. @ 1600 high idle no load 150 degree coolant and 150 degree oil is 44PSI at idle 34-35psi! truck had been driven, parked and once cooled somewhat today we plumbed in the manual gauge which is why, by coincidence, oil and coolant temps matched closely at 150 degrees. So believe a hot idle at 200+ degrees will still prove to show good pressures.

So ECM or wireing connection may be corroded at new sending unit or at ECM or inside ECM or inside wire. The ECM via laptop shows same pressures as the dash gauge therefor I believe the problem to be between the sending unit to ECM or in ECM. Thoughts???

User's Signature: Heavy Towing/Recovery makes the juices flow!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
Check the wiring, and a 2009, probably time for a new ECM, they do not last forever even with that low of mileage. Then the harness, they age, and with that low mileage, she sounds like she sat more than she worked in the past 11 years, I would check the harness and the cab controller.

And why did you put a reman head on that motor? That was my first thought when I saw low oil pressure and reman head in the same post. Just curious, as a new head is only a few dollars more.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
It might have been a new head in a reman box. Only sure way to tell is if the serial number ends in rx.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
09-16-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure dropping ) 
(09-14-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Check the wiring, and a 2009, probably time for a new ECM, they do not last forever even with that low of mileage. Then the harness, they age, and with that low mileage, she sounds like she sat more than she worked in the past 11 years, I would check the harness and the cab controller.

And why did you put a reman head on that motor? That was my first thought when I saw low oil pressure and reman head in the same post. Just curious, as a new head is only a few dollars more.

Did not consider new head, did not know,,,
Low miles, lot of hours working accidents/recoveries.

User's Signature: Heavy Towing/Recovery makes the juices flow!
replyreply
09-17-2020, (Subject: Oil pressure dropping ) 
(09-16-2020 )carco Wrote:  Did not consider new head, did not know,,,
Low miles, lot of hours working accidents/recoveries.

These ISX heads are one time use, even Cummins has not found a way to properly reman them. Many times Cummins will sell new heads as remans in a reman box. Like Nilao stated, check the serial number on the head, if it is a PX you got a new head. If RX, it is a reman, and could be the issue. RX heads are a real crap shoot, and not recommended, as they usually fail in short order.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: carco

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.