DA left speed sensor
07-23-2020, (Subject: DA left speed sensor ) 
DA left speed sensor
Hi , A friend asked me to help him figure out this problem . So he get this message on the dashboard of his 2012 386 "DA left speed sensor" on and off . So left side drive axle speed sensor open or shorted . Obviously mechanic wanna change the sensor but I dont think its the sensor because he told me it comes on and off randomly while driving but also every time he is performing specific things. He runs intermodal containers and every time he is live loading very heavy recycling paper he gets the fault and every time they are taking off the container from the chassis the fault goes away . So It looks like it has something to do with some wires being shorted when the truck chassis is moving down and unshorted when it"s moving up . I unplugged the sensors to see if the fault would change and I tried plugging the left on the right sensor and right on left sensor and and also both unplugged and nothing changed . still getting the same DA left speed sensor . Am I going in the right direction ? Any Idea on where to look or what to try ?
Thanks in advance.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar daycab cm871 485
replyreply
RE: DA left speed sensor
I can only assume your referring to the ABS wheel sensors, as trucks do not have speed sensors at the wheels, only ABS sensors.

It is most likely that the Wheel/hub bearing need re-torquing on all the axles. - This should be done every 250k miles, but most truck owners severely neglect doing this. After bearings are re-torqued, the ABS sensor needs to be set to correct distance once bearings are re-torqued.

-- I.E. neglect.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Geared_Cortex , david24
(07-23-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  I can only assume your referring to the ABS wheel sensors, as trucks do not have speed sensors at the wheels, only ABS sensors.

It is most likely that the Wheel/hub bearing need re-torquing on all the axles. - This should be done every 250k miles, but most truck owners severely neglect doing this. After bearings are re-torqued, the ABS sensor needs to be set to correct distance once bearings are re-torqued.

-- I.E. neglect.
Thanks for the quick answer.
Yes I was referring to the abs sensor but on the dash it says "DA left speed sensor " I don't know why. I would have never taught about retorquing the axles for a solution to that fault.
But I still don't understand why the code is not changing when I unplugged the abs sensors on both sides and when I switched the plugs from left to right it was still the same "DA left speed sensor" message on the dash. I need to understand what is it I'm not getting in this .

replyreply
Im with Rawze if its in and out. Should have a drop out speed code... That is if your looking at wabco or bendix programs... It also could be voltage drop high/low which would mean you have a broken wire. The way I find them is take a ohm meter and wiggle the wires as I ohm them out.. If it drops out you know you have a broken wire.. Most of the time I find the issue to be either the sensor it self like 40% of the time and about 2 foot back from harness plug where it good into sensor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Geared_Cortex
(07-23-2020 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Im with Rawze if its in and out. Should have a drop out speed code... That is if your looking at wabco or bendix programs... It also could be voltage drop high/low which would mean you have a broken wire. The way I find them is take a ohm meter and wiggle the wires as I ohm them out.. If it drops out you know you have a broken wire.. Most of the time I find the issue to be either the sensor it self like 40% of the time and about 2 foot back from harness plug where it good into sensor.
Thanks
Wouldn't it drop a right side speed sensor fault if I unplug the right side ?

replyreply
(07-23-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  I can only assume your referring to the ABS wheel sensors, as trucks do not have speed sensors at the wheels, only ABS sensors.

-- I.E. neglect.

May be a dumb question but I have to ask because I'm having this same problem.....what is the correct distance that the abs sensor should be set at?
replyreply
(07-23-2020 )david24 Wrote:  

-- I.E. neglect.

May be a dumb question but I have to ask because I'm having this same problem.....what is the correct distance that the abs sensor should be set at?

The documentation for the sensor should tell you the correct answer. .. However most mechanics will simply slide the sensor up against the tone wheel and let it find its own clearance. Not a bad idea if you are unsure. The sensor is friction fit into the housing and is supposed to have some give for just this reason.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.