ISX15 Idling in farm operation
07-25-2020, (Subject: ISX15 Idling in farm operation ) 
ISX15 Idling in farm operation
I have a new-to-me 2014 W900L with a 2350 ISX15 in it, with 451,000 miles. I was able to review the complete service history before purchase, it was leased by the dealership and they had entire history in a spreadsheet. No major problems, biggest things were A/C related, and the carbon on cylinder issue at around 130k. It did have all updates and bulletins completed including the fuel tappets (if anyone is interested or willing to look at it for other red flags I'd be glad to send the excel file!).

Anyway, this week I replaced iMAP, Delta P, Exhaust back pressure sensors, put in maintenance-free crankcase filter, and new doser injector. They were all still factory. I did pull a few parts of the piping but did not appear to be terribly sooted, so I didn't pull everything off to clean - is this a mistake?

A couple of big questions for you guys, first - is the forced regen a necessary part of this process? I do have a friend who has a farm tractor repair shop and believe he has Insite software so we could probably do it over a couple beers some evening if needed. Didn't know what the benefits were of doing it if not messing with the turbo.

My biggest question regards idling time.

First let me describe my application. In the fall for 2-3 months we pull 80-90,000 out of corn/soybean fields, short hauls averaging 10-20 miles loaded to the elevator, including a river valley with a pretty big hill to pull. Then unloaded back to the field, where in soybeans (half our acres) we can wait 30-60 minutes for the next load. In corn, its pretty much nonstop - as soon as we get back the next load is ready.

I know mandated engines are not idle-friendly. My question is, what would be the maximum time you'd allow the 2350 to idle? During soybean harvest it can be pretty hot some days so the A/C is nice to have while waiting... What procedure for cool down would you use if you'd recommend shutting it down between loads? Does it make sense to shut down for 20 minutes to avoid that idle time?

Depending on your answer to this, my follow up would be regarding de-mandate in this application. I've seen Rawze mention farms in posts before as good applications to consider this. Would you recommend this for me? As of right now, since I just did (most of) the EGR tuneup, I was planning to run this fall as is, then consider it next year if that would be best.

I do plan on hauling grain for the elevators for a couple months in the off-season, not much maybe 20,000 miles a year to get a little extra income, again this would be shorter hauls of under 100 miles roundtrip, but much less idle time. But there will be times where the truck sits in the shed for extended periods of time, which I know trucks in general don't seem to like.

I'm not looking to be OTR, just want to keep it out of the shop as much as possible, first mandated rig for us.

Thanks for any thoughts or help in advance.

CornFarmer
replyreply
RE: ISX15 Idling in farm operation
80-90k i wouldnt have bought a longhood for that but idling it with everything intact and short hauls will kill it quick especially if it sits around a bunch rotting. i run my truck with fan on for 5-8minutes every time i get off the road to cool it all down.

Put an APU tripac or carrier on it. its 10-12grand for new 5-8 grand for used and will pay itself off in a hurry as it will probably help that engine last twice as long

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
Rebuild that high pressure fuel pump now!!! Those things are famous for failing and taking the entire engine with it, meaning you can't even rebuild it because its so full of metal shavings. You're right at the mileage where the guts need to be replaced.
As far as the rest of it goes, get it demandated and don't look back. But have it done by someone HERE that knows what they are doing!! ie. MommaBurt, unilevers, Mr. Hagg

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(07-25-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Rebuild that high pressure fuel pump now!!! Those things are famous for failing and taking the entire engine with it, meaning you can't even rebuild it because its so full of metal shavings. You're right at the mileage where the guts need to be replaced.
As far as the rest of it goes, get it demandated and don't look back. But have it done by someone HERE that knows what they are doing!! ie. MommaBurt, unilevers, Mr. Hagg

He mentioned having proof that it was done at some point in the past.

However, you can plan on replacing plungers and tappets every 400,000 mi or so as a preventative maintenance. For a few hundred bucks it's good insurance. If unsure of the condition, it's really easy to remove the head for inspection. Just follow the procedure available in quickserve.

As for the aftertreatment system, if you're not driving for at least an hour at a time you will have frequent problems with the system not being able to clean out the soot as designed. This will lead to an increasing frequency of parked regens (either initiated via a switch on the dash or via Insite). The more you perform parked regens the more the reactive coatings in the DOC and SCR cans will wear away. Eventually the system just won't be able to clean itself no matter what. In the mean time you will be using an excessive amount of fuel to actively burn away the soot in the filter. In your application it would probably be best to just eliminate the problem before it becomes a problem. Normally I'd suggest someone run the system until it starts giving them problems, but I suspect you will start to have problems within a week or two based on your description.

As for idling, it's bad for the dpf and best avoided regardless of mandate. My opinion: If you're going to sit for more than 15 minutes at a time I'd recommend shutting the truck down. Let idle for a minute or two or three to help prevent heat buildup then shut it down until you're ready to go again.

As for letting the truck sit for extended periods, start it up, let it run for a bit. It lets fluids circulate, oil to lubricate, get it up to operating temp to help minimize moisture buildup. Drive it around a little to keep the grease from drying out anywhere. Watch for critters that might make a nest.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , tree98 , Rawze , CornFarmer
I’ll second Jim, running dumpsters is a lot like the op describes for time, etc. Get it ‘fixed’ and you will not regret it.
replyreply
07-26-2020, (Subject: ISX15 Idling in farm operation ) 
sounds like also he might want to look into re-spec the rear axles for that type of operation if the truck has highways gears in it. -- It is abusive to the engine to make short burst hauls like that and in/off roads with a highway rear-end spec'd truck.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks for the replies so far guys! JimT is correct, the fuel pump roller tappet campaign has already been completed so I should be ok there? Also, thanks for the comments on regen and idling JimT.

Rawze, this truck has 3.90s with a 13 speed, should be about right for the application I think? Definitely didn't want/need highway gears...

Sounds like getting her fixed would be the best route for my application. Probably shouldn't have wasted the money on the sensors and doser, lol.
replyreply
Not a waste at all IMO you did good by it with that tune up , now you know what you have.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: CornFarmer
(07-26-2020 )CornFarmer Wrote:  ...
Rawze, this truck has 3.90s with a 13 speed,

That is fairly decent for set of rears in that type of operations. Too many trucks any more here lately are spec'd wrong, so I though I would mention it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.