Time to Inframe?
07-26-2020, (Subject: Time to Inframe? ) 
Time to Inframe?
There's lots of threads on here about specific circumstances that necessitate an inframe. But I was wondering, in a more general sense, what factors dictate that it's time to stop and do an inframe? I have my own specific concerns which motivated this post, but I'll address them in a different thread. The purpose of this thread is to serve as a one stop reference for all about what to consider when determining if an inframe is required now. Please list both specific factors (like broken parts, specific symptoms) and general limits (such as max oil consumption, max wear) that indicate the time is NOW. You can also include links to other threads that may go in to more detail about specific items. Again, this thread is meant to be a quick reference, not a how-to.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
RE: Time to Inframe?
Great idea - We need a series of how-to and quick reference threads on here. I've been wanting to do some how-to posts but never get the time.

I have my own idea of what calls for overhaul but I can see this thread becoming a heap of conflicting opinions. There's no 'one size fits all' for ISX rebuilds. There are too many variables involved.
replyreply
(just my own thoughts) its time to inframe when...

* (no dpf in exhaust) - oil consumption is more than 1 gallon every 3000 miles or so, and it is established as excess blo-by.

* (with dpf in exhaust) - oil consumption is more than 1 gallon every 8000 miles or so, and it is established as excess blo-by. The DPf can no longer keep up at this point.

* rod and main bearings were not done at 800k miles, and it has more than 1.1 million on the enigne.

* If the head has to come off for any reason (worn out head, dropped liner, head gasket, spun cam bearing, etc.) and the engine has more than 450k miles on it... Its time to inframe it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , hhow55 , snailexpress , Waterloo , t700 , Sergiu , Toolguy
(07-26-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  (just my own thoughts) its time to inframe when...

* (no dpf in exhaust) - oil consumption is more than 1 gallon every 3000 miles or so, and it is established as excess blo-by.

Can you touch on any potential complications / failures if someone tried to push their luck on this point? Why 3,000? What are the risks when guys try to wait 'till a better time' or something?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(07-26-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(07-26-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  (just my own thoughts) its time to inframe when...

Can you touch on any potential complications / failures if someone tried to push their luck on this point? Why 3,000? What are the risks when guys try to wait 'till a better time' or something?

below about the 1 gal every 4,000 mark, your likely looking at a broken ring at that point.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Toolguy
What price would I be looking at when it's inframe time?
replyreply
30 or 40 thousand us. 50 60ish Canadian.

You do labor 25 30k us 35 40 can

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(07-26-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  30 or 40 thousand us. 50 60ish Canadian.

You do labor 25 30k us 35 40 can
Is a brand new isx around 35 or 40k? If so, why not just put a brand new engine in instead of doing an inframe?
replyreply
more labor yet to remove transmission do motor mounts new clutch maybe new input shaft or whole trans...you go that far you might as well replace the whole driveline as the labors already there.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: david24 , Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.