X15 questions
09-16-2020, (Subject: X15 questions ) 
RE: X15 questions
Mine is the same way my truck is a Volvo by the way which is worst for airflow under the hood. Could be a bunch of crap stuck in the condensor cac and radiator as well gotta check the obvious. How are your coolant temperatures when pulling a grade?

tree: mine had to be programmed in, depending on your truck you may just need a gauge and/or programmed in, shouldn't be more than an hour of labor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Explosia
(09-16-2020 )marek4792 Wrote:  tree: mine had to be programmed in, depending on your truck you may just need a gauge and/or programmed in, shouldn't be more than an hour of labor.

There's no factory hole for the gauge because it has 3 lift axles and they took up all the available holes in a pete 567. If I could do what you're saying and just mount the gauge in a dashboard pod that would be cool.
I wonder what the reason would be(if in fact they actually do)for Cummins to want the oil temp higher on the X15 than on previous engines?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
My temp stays 185-190, but will easily rise if the engine is asked to work. In the desert (I live in Arizona) it’s always up around 200-210 and the fan is constantly kicking on to bring it down.

The truck I sold (2015 cm2350) didn’t act this way. Like rawze posted, the oil never went abive 225, and it would take a long hard grade to get the water up to 210. However it would run warm in the desert too, but not as bad as this engine.
replyreply
(09-16-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  I wonder what the reason would be(if in fact they actually do)for Cummins to want the oil temp higher on the X15 than on previous engines?
Well we know that higher oil temperatures eliminate condensation in the oil, one theory I've heard was that it increases the efficiency of the after treatment system. I've mentioned once the idea on here about any benefit of installing a 215 degree oil thermostat in an engine that runs in high temperature environments or in an enclosed space like under the hood of areo-trucks and in RV's, but in this case the engine being higher compression, quickily shot down by Rawze himself for the reasons above.

Something I've forgot to mention on that post (for the sake of argument) was lets say you had something happening in the engine causing stupid high oil temps. The oil temperatures regardless of what thermostat is installed should still show something is wrong. The 235 degree thermostat doesn't fully close until 260 apparently looking at quickserve which i find very odd. should fully close much sooner I think... By that theory a 215 degree thermostat should fully close at 240, or it may act like you removed the oil thermostat from the oil cooler, who knows? Then again there's no telling what oil temperatures the thermostat experiences oppose to what the oil temperature sensor sees. Just speculation by the way.

(09-16-2020 )Explosia Wrote:  My temp stays 185-190, but will easily rise if the engine is asked to work. In the desert (I live in Arizona) it’s always up around 200-210 and the fan is constantly kicking on to bring it down.

The truck I sold (2015 cm2350) didn’t act this way. Like rawze posted, the oil never went abive 225, and it would take a long hard grade to get the water up to 210. However it would run warm in the desert too, but not as bad as this engine.
does the temperature seem to hang when the fan is on? and when the truck does cool down like leveling out does the coolant temperature drop below operating temperature like close to 160 degrees or so?

{edited by Rawze to say "closed" where you mentioned "open"}
replyreply
(09-16-2020 )marek4792 Wrote:  Mine is the same way my truck is a Volvo by the way which is worst for airflow under the hood. Could be a bunch of crap stuck in the condensor cac and radiator as well gotta check the obvious. How are your coolant temperatures when pulling a grade?

Have you done any mods to increase airflow under your hood? I have done a few to the fender well and so forth and also added in a manual fan switch which you can wire through the VECU. I have seen in general my pyro read at about 75 to 100 degrees lower which is tremendous IMO. Have a few more things to help air flow under the hood yet.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
Do these engines have a temperature sensor for the engine oil? Don't recall seeing one in a 2350 oil pan.

I drove a Mack 2013 with MP8 engine. It would run oil at 240° when loaded. Mack place said they all did.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
(09-16-2020 )marek4792 Wrote:  ... should fully open ...

The thermostat closes to force oil into the oil cooler,... not opens. I corrected your post above.

I.E.> if a person removes the oil cooler thermostat, or if it were to hang in the open state, the oil will bypass the cooler and overheat.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792
(09-16-2020 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  Have you done any mods to increase airflow under your hood? I have done a few to the fender well and so forth and also added in a manual fan switch which you can wire through the VECU. I have seen in general my pyro read at about 75 to 100 degrees lower which is tremendous IMO. Have a few more things to help air flow under the hood yet.
I haven't yet, well not intentionally like skimming a snowdrift in North Dakota last winter ripping said fender off. LOL

Thanks for the correction Rawze.

Some research I found this, but for the ISX12NG trucks doing just that with the thermostats, but for what reason, and would an X15 benefit from such a modification I wonder?
./uploads/202009/post_1639_1600311221_19fea69ef5de83eb71aa045ded35f6d8.jpg
Also in this graphic you have item number 16 says it's a (Filter Head Insert) which looks like a potential flow restriction if it gets gunked up and seems like it could very well be the smoking gun especially after an engine break-in scenario..
./uploads/202009/post_1639_1600311404_d833e8bdccc7b5c78ec8e9165e2e60fa.png
replyreply
(09-16-2020 )marek4792 Wrote:  does the temperature seem to hang when the fan is on? and when the truck does cool down like leveling out does the coolant temperature drop below operating temperature like close to 160 degrees or so?

No it works like it’s supposed to, just get hot easier than my old 2350. Well so far no one seems to say somethings wrong, I guess that’s the way it’s supposed to run? The warranty runs out soon I will be visiting my favorite shop in Georgia, I wonder if that file will make a difference?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.